2007 LR3 radio options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAJOD

Reaction score
I like everything on my lr3 but the radio options.

The amp/radio/speakers are fine but the MP3/phone seem a bit archaic.

1. Does not import my iphone 5 directory, voice commands almost useless vs iphones voice command ability.

2. Iphone 5 mp3 even at full volume is still much lower than GPS voice with no GPS option to fine tune voice volume.

3. It has some kind of phone cradle in the center console but even the dealer had no clue as to what type of phone could use it. Potential power source squandered.

4. Can't read DVD mp3 discs.

5. Can't change iphone 5 mp3s via radio buttons as its only a audio input.

The GPS system is barely passable, I guess I'm use to the Iphones GPS or the hondas. Does that new 2012 GPS disk offer a better input interface?

Radio aside the truck itself is great and did not really get it for the radio features. But wondering if there is a way to just swap out that giant radio for a more modern one that has the ability to control the iphone from its controls.

I got a 150.00 radio for my Ford that does it all but I think the space for the LR3 is way to large and would look goofy.

For now I've found the best option is to just burn 6 Cdr Mp3s, use the iphone 5 for gps.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nav system is actually very good, pain to learn how to use, and interface is a bit iffy, but the a much better system then was found in most cars at the same time of manufacture. A map update will only update maps, and some minor features, but does not change the interface much.

For it to import your contacts, you will need a software update to the bluetooth module, there was updated software to allow this feature. I would check functionality with another phone first, as I am not sure if it works with iPhone 5, and may already be up to date. With the voice commands, keep in mind, your phones technology is 5 years newer (really about 8 since the car didn't change much since 05) then what the car has, voice activation on phones in '07 was not that great either.

The cradle is useless. The only adapter that was ever sold in the US for it, and I believe wasn't for the LR3, but the earlier L322 RR, was for the old brick style Nokia phones. Some people have taken it apart for a power source for their phones, might be worth looking into.

No, it is a CD player, not a DVD player.

Swapping it out is not that easy, unless you go completely aftermarket (radio, amp, anything else you would need) as radio itself controls the MOST ring that the entire system needs to work,

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's worth the trouble, but maybe there's a late model LR4 wreck out there that you could pull Nav/Stereo from.....don't know what software and other firmware updates you'd need but i would think it might be relatively straightforward..I know a few people on BMW X5 site who've done it....just need to check can/bus/cic compatibility between model years.

RAJOD

Reaction score
I can live with it as is, just was asking since its new to me.

I might get the 2012 DVD GPS disk, ive seen them for 50.00 online. 200.00 is a bit much when you consider what an iphone 5 can do with a free GPS app.

That stereo is actually very nice. Good power, nice speakers. That technology has not changed that much.

You mentioned a blue tooth upgrade. My iphone 5 does connect to its blue tooth. I can call using the cars push button numbers. It does not do well on voice, I end up screaming at it and get a "sorry etc.... yada yada..."

But the blue tooth does not seem to allow mp3s to be played as with our honda. That would be nice is the blue tooth could be used to play mp3s. For now I just use a cable to the input which works fine.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to hear my iPhone 5 giving Google Maps directions through Bluetooth into the audio system the other day, but the radio was actually off although the phone was paired okay. When I turned on the radio I got bursts of silence when the directions were given, so maybe you can stream MP3 from your phone with the stereo off. Not sure how you'd handle the volume but might be worth a try - haven't had a chance to experiment...

I admit the interface of the nav isn't going to cause TomTom and Garmin to lose sleep but what lost it for me was the latest nav disk didn't know that Austin had an airport....tried name and then just browse POI. <facepalm>

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49