2011 LR2 left front halfshaft installation help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstout87

Reaction score
Replacing left front halfshaft on my 2011 Land Rover LR2. Wasn't real hard to remove the old one using a slide hammer, but for the life of me I cannot get the new one to seat in the differential. I don't know if it's the pin or what, but I just can't get it all the way in and seated. No videos anywhere for this I've searched far and wide. Can't get a shop manual anywhere either. Only ones I've found in book form are for the diesel version, and I don't know if it's the same as the petrol version in all aspects save the engine. Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

Attachments

• 16900869826338101590676367827151.jpg
    16900869826338101590676367827151.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 41

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you "slamming " the axle into the diff?
Usually, you can grab the outer CV joint and use it to drive the axle in.
Make sure the clip is not damaged.

cstout87

Reaction score
Drove it in today with a mallet, and the guy helping me with it ****** it too hard when checking to see if it was seated, and pulled the thing loose inside the boot. He says he'll get it to go back in there but this is the reason I'm having to change the axle in the first place. I pulled it loose trying to get the lower control arm on. He was able to get it to go back together without removing the boot, but now I don't trust it so I'm ordering a new one. At least now I know I do have to beat it on lol. I appreciate the advice. Now if I can only get the lower control arm on again.... Seems like it isn't wide enough

Last edited:

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the cv joint back together with the boot intact isn't going to be a problem.
I've done it several times.

You can remove the lower ball joint and swing the knuckle up out of the way.
You will need to long pry bar (4' long) to do this.

cstout87

Reaction score
Is there a trick to getting the lower control arm installed? I did this last year and didn't have a problem, but I busted the ball joint boot trying to reattach it after replacing the steering rack this go round. The front bushing on the new one just doesn't want to go into it's slot if the rear bushings and ball joint are hooked up. Same with ball joint if the front and rear bushings are hooked up. I have only been able to get 2 of 3 points in for some reason.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a pain.
There's a massive C clamp that compresses the strut while it is mounted in the car.
You can remove the three left subframe bolts and lower the subframe.
The lower ball joint will go right in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72