front drivetrain noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the frequent offroad usage is exposing some problems in my rig. I drove in 4low the other day for 1/8 mile in the desert going through gears 1-3. It was a lot of fun hitting second with regular throttle because the shifts are firm. But now I'm hearing some new noises a few days later that are concerning. One of them is hearing a howl like noise that might be gear noise or normal 4X4 Land Rover AWD noise, but I don't think I've heard it before so consistently and repeatable as I had when I just got back.

The first symptom was when there is a load from slight acceleration in 1st and 2nd (can't try 3rd) and driving straight, the front left area makes a noise and it seems like its forward of my feet and the noise is not near the rotor.

The second symptom was a thump, thump, thump, noise when taking off that has the speed and noise like it was a drive shaft or something else that rotates at the same speed. Then the noise goes away. That thump, thump noise I heard since I bought it in July but it only reproduced when I left a parking space occasionally in the AM. Now it reproduces more frequently and I don't think its related to being cold as I once thought because it happened at normal operating temps. It seems like there might be an issue with my LR4 or these noises are normal British LR4 mannerisms? Any ideas on what the noises are from?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a thump-thump noise and it was separation of the tread casing from the tread of the tire. Got new tires and it went away, though it scuttled my plans to go to 18" wheels. I ended up with the toyo AT3, I've been happy with them. Is the thumping related to wheel rotation, or faster? A drive shaft would be 3+ times faster due to the final drive ratio. If you rotate your tires, does it change where it comes from?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a thump-thump noise and it was separation of the tread casing from the tread of the tire. Got new tires and it went away, though it scuttled my plans to go to 18" wheels. I ended up with the toyo AT3, I've been happy with them. Is the thumping related to wheel rotation, or faster? A drive shaft would be 3+ times faster due to the final drive ratio. If you rotate your tires, does it change where it comes from?
That Toyo tire seems to be the most aggressive tread pattern I've seen for the LR4. I planned to get that one next. The thump timing seems faster than an outer tire rotation.

ugmw177

Reaction score
i would suspect the driveshaft carrier bearing for the thumping noises. As for the other, ours ate its transfer case bearings last year. started out as a small whine and continued to get louder. eventually was very loud and had to have the t-case replaced at about 90k miles.

Blueaz

Reaction score
I had a rotating/thumping noise and it turned out to be my front differential. Replaced at 111K miles.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a rotating/thumping noise and it turned out to be my front differential. Replaced at 111K miles.
Random question but if you live around Phoenix what shop do you go to?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove on the same desert path where I had those strange noises I was asking about and didn't hear either noise. I did hear a new clack in the front left suspension and very thick gauge steel noise and these noises happen while going uphill. Previously I've been listening to music most of the time or had windows up and not paying much attention to noise with the window down because the LR4 is so incredibly comfortable driving over these rough roads. It really is magical. I look out through the windshield and see bumpy terrain and hardly any of the road comes through to the driver through the air suspension to the leather chair.

Some of these guys driving the desert roads around here haul ass, at least 50MPH+ and leave a huge rooster tail of dust. Its pretty cool to watch tbh and I'd like to do that in the LR4 with DSC off, Sport mode on and drift some corners, but I don't think its ready for that seeing how its making noises lol.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I've done some 50+ mph trail driving in Mojave Desert and Death Valley. I leave it on Hi gear and (D) drive or (S) sport mode. It's scary fun trying to keep up with my street legal trophy truck buddies, but they're so fast that I often lose their dust trials.

Anyhow, the sound that you're referring is the rear drive shaft. Mine was making that same noise on my new Lucky8 non-GKN driveshaft at the front CV joint. It sounds like a wrench tapping on the driveshaft.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are now living in your truck full time?
I'm overlanding with it full time now and left the apartment life. I'm testing it doing a shake down run and getting other issues worked out with my gear (like with Starlink) so that I can travel more confidently across the Western mountains and deserts that are more remote and further off the beaten path. I need to climb some hills around here and get it into 4lo more so I can figure out what the noises are and the severity of the issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72