2015 Land Rover LR4 HSE- Thinking about buying, does the engine sound right? https://youtu.be/wqjUb-qWbxE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
That sounds almost exactly like my MY16 LR4 except mine has a louder tick caused by a bad supercharger coupler. That sounds to me like a perfectly running SCV6 and I've listened to every engine video posted for the SCV6. Chain slap has a different sound that doesn't follow a perfect rhythm and is most apparent at startup. The SCV6 is known to be a little louder engine too but you should not hear it running inside the cabin.
You are correct, I had an inspection completed that indicated confirmed that, however, a small fluid leak was detected but sadly the inspector failed to ascertain what the fluid was and were it is originating from.

Well, fast forward a day later, the seller told me that someone else was interested in the vehicle and placed a large deposit down to be able to have it inspected by a Land Rover specialty shop and he provided the name and phone number.

I decided to call the should and ask about their diagnosis and to my surprise they provided it.
What they discovered is an engine leak (Possibly Valve cover gasket) and a leak from the transmission pan. They also quoted a rate in the region of $5-7k to have the repair done.

So, I decided not to purchase it even though I am pretty sure I would be able to DIY it, it just seems like too much trouble. The price of vehicle was very doable and while I have a large budget to get work done, I dislike leaks. I am still tempted though.

Thanks for all the input.

Reaction score
The writing was on the wall for Jaguar. The special edition "performance" sedans were not refined enough to handle the German beasts and the Luxury cruisers were nowhere near the refinement/durability level of Lexus. The got hammered on both ends.
Nothing wrong with the Jags but you can really see/feel/experience that they didn't have the $$$ or the engineering prowess of the Germans when developing their cars. What is surprising is how well the LR3 came out although it did need to be reworked (LR4) to sort all of the quirks. Then they ended up with the best vehicle they ever produced (LR4). Land Rover must have sucked up all the R&D dollars.
Jaguar has a presence that BMW and many others just do not possess
My brother was fanatical on the XJRs and owned a few nice examples. Then he stumbled across a good bargain CLS 55 AMG and it was game over for his Jag obsession.

Jag XJR & CLS 55 AMG

back to regular programming. Yeah that V6 sounds ok.
Perhaps I can't be impartial, but Jaguar has much more of an opulent presence than the aforementioned CLS 55. But I have had them in my family for a very long time and I have seen the occasional Lexus (3), BMW (2) and Mercedes (3) come and go but the Jaguar has remained a staple for us.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, I had an inspection completed that indicated confirmed that, however, a small fluid leak was detected but sadly the inspector failed to ascertain what the fluid was and were it is originating from.

Well, fast forward a day later, the seller told me that someone else was interested in the vehicle and placed a large deposit down to be able to have it inspected by a Land Rover specialty shop and he provided the name and phone number.

I decided to call the should and ask about their diagnosis and to my surprise they provided it.
What they discovered is an engine leak (Possibly Valve cover gasket) and a leak from the transmission pan. They also quoted a rate in the region of $5-7k to have the repair done.

So, I decided not to purchase it even though I am pretty sure I would be able to DIY it, it just seems like too much trouble. The price of vehicle was very doable and while I have a large budget to get work done, I dislike leaks. I am still tempted though.

Thanks for all the input.
I'd get a second opinion because I had my transmission pan done and it was a little over a grand. A Valve cover gasket is less than a grand. $5k-$7k is suspect unless things are left out like replacing coolant pipes and such.

Reaction score
I'd get a second opinion because I had my transmission pan done and it was a little over a grand. A Valve cover gasket is less than a grand. $5k-$7k is suspect unless things are left out like replacing coolant pipes and such.
Thank you. I shall do that.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also a transmission pan leak might be indicative of a prior pan swap/fluid flush, which would likely be a positive indicator that the prior owner at least tried to keep it maintained.

Reaction score
Also a transmission pan leak might be indicative of a prior pan swap/fluid flush, which would likely be a positive indicator that the prior owner at least tried to keep it maintained.
That is terrific to know. The previous owner did have a flush completed as well as
  • Valve cover gasket(s) replaced (11-2022)
  • Cylinder head gasket(s) replaced (11-2022)
  • Exhaust manifold gasket replaced. (11-2022)

I am still tempted to take the plunge and get it, knowing repairs are eminent. But as LRTIME on YouTube said, it is almost impossible to purchase the perfect used LR4 at these prices.

Last edited:

RoverTide

Reaction score
That is terrific to know. The previous owner did have a flush completed as well as

I am still tempted to take the plunge and get it, knowing repairs are eminent. But as LRTIME on YouTube said, it is almost impossible to purchase the perfect used LR4 at these prices.
Interesting... Based on those three items, it looks like the cylinder head has been removed.. The question is, why? and by whom?

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you're still tempted: Mileage on it?..history?..and price? Or maybe I missed that?...

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saw the CARFAX. Not bad- one owner, ok miles, certainly dealer maintained. Should be able to drill down on all of that if need be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM