2015 LR4 - Battery died, now doors won't lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect battery negative, wait...(1 minute, 10 minutes, 30 minutes...depends who you ask) solves a lot of gremlins with LR's. Same key fob problem happened when I let an auto shop tech perform a "free scan" and reset codes...fortunately the "disconnect negative terminal and wait" trick did the job, and I learned my lesson about "free scans"!

Regarding battery going dead, as others have noted turn the interior lights off, they pull a surprising amount of current. Also, assuming keyless ignition, stash the key away from the vehicle. Every time the computer 'sniffs' the key it wakes up the system, ready to start.

There is one point on the vehicle where the key can be easily stashed out of range of the sensors (PM if you need to know where)

BMullensNH

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, really appreciate it. Took it to an indi repair shop and they scanned and went through it. Their analysis showed that the front door locks were working fine, but the passenger side rear was not reacting at all. Suggested replacing the rear door lock mechanisms. I asked them to do the battery disconnect (I was travelling out of state and couldn't do it myself), but they didn't get time to do so before I picked it up.

Funny thing now is all the doors will lock except the passenger rear. I've shut off the interior lights so I can use without burning the battery.

I'm a little leery of unplugging the battery as I don't want to run into any other problems. Any downside to disconnecting the negative besides resetting clock/radio/etc.?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, really appreciate it. Took it to an indi repair shop and they scanned and went through it. Their analysis showed that the front door locks were working fine, but the passenger side rear was not reacting at all. Suggested replacing the rear door lock mechanisms. I asked them to do the battery disconnect (I was travelling out of state and couldn't do it myself), but they didn't get time to do so before I picked it up.

Funny thing now is all the doors will lock except the passenger rear. I've shut off the interior lights so I can use without burning the battery.

I'm a little leery of unplugging the battery as I don't want to run into any other problems. Any downside to disconnecting the negative besides resetting clock/radio/etc.?

ive dont it a few times on my LR4.
once because of working on it.
2x to fix intermittent problems....which it did fix.

so actually, i find disconnecting the battery to solve more problems rather than create them.

and yes, resetting the clock/time/units will happen.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Occasionally doing a hard reset by disconnecting the battery is just part of the SOP with Land Rovers, at least of the 2010-2013 vintage (with 2015 Evoque I've not yet experienced such gremlins, but 2011 LR4 and 2013 RRS both have the same electronics and corresponding gremlins).

I learned this a few months into my 2011 LR4 when I let the fuel run too low, the fuel pump sucked some air, and threw a christmas tree of errors. Local indy shop charged me 1/2 hour of labor ($80) to check codes and disconnect/reconnect the battery. Paying $80 to disconnect/reconnect the battery really annoyed me, but I learned a lesson and have done used this "reboot" some number of times since...searching forums you will find a number of bugs fixed this way. I suppose it makes sense, every computer occasionally needs a full power-down reboot, so it isn't surprising that one or another of the 27 or so computers in these Land Rovers just have to be rebooted.

BMullensNH

Reaction score
Unreal! It worked like a champ! Thanks for the tips and reassurance I wouldn’t completely disable my truck. @BznLR4 really appreciate your guidance.

rjowenusa

Reaction score
Good tip above to disable the dome lights (useful for drive in movie theaters too) but I also replace all my dome lights with LEDs. Brighter and a much lower current drain. On my LR3's it's one of the few things you can convert to LED without the computer reporting all kinds of weird faults.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72