2031 mile trek

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hushdc4

Reaction score
Hi, this has probably been talked about but I haven't found anything using the search option.

I have an 05 LR3 and preparing it for another long journey. A year ago my family and I drove from Oregon to Texas. Before the trip I took my rover to a reputable shop in portland to do an inspection. I mentioned I had an oil leak. And the rover would occasionally **** while taking off from a dead stop. They found the leak coming from the transmission pan and replaced it which fixed the problem. Other than that they said it was good to go.

We make it to texas just fine but 2 days after we get to there the battery died, and the coolant bleeder valve mysteriously disintegrated. I've replaced them and since then haven't had any problems.

Other than oil changes is there anything you guys recommend I have replaced, spare parts I should take or looked over before the trip? I have 135,000 some odd miles right now and the only thing I'm worried about is the air suspension failing.

So far things that I will be replacing before the trip are the belts, tensioners, diff fluids, thermostat, coolant and the lower control arms. Also I have a humming sound coming from the front end which I think could be the wheel bearings. Tires have about 5000 on them and had them rotated and balanced a couple months ago.

Thanks!

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the control arms, tie rods and wheel bearings. I've had to replace all three. The LCA's and the tie rod ends before my trip to Hilton Head for my daughter's wedding and the bearing assemblies after we got back. That and a wedding made for a very expensive 2015. :)

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not sweat too much about the trip.
if you have not changed LCA once before, yes at 135 000 miles , this is long overdue, but if you did , why now ? They will get you whenever you plan to go and back , for sure .
Checking for leaks , battery stage ,diff fluids is a good idea, coolant and thermostat housing should be in order as well, also new coolant expansion tank, topping off fluids and that is all.
I am a great believer of a preventive maintenance , it is what I do with my LR3 and it pays me well.I am over 180 000 miles and would not even think twice about long travel, in fact , I think, my truck drives and functions better , then it was newer.
I take a long trips very often , NJ to New Orleans , twice, non stop driving, just me ,refueling and lots of coffee.At least 30 trips to Maine , which is a at least 2000 miles round trip , when you consider side trips every day and off roading, many VT, NH and upstate NY and this baby never let mr stranded, well , except this one time when EPB jammed on the highway at 75 MPH., but that is a different story.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing a list of LR dealers and local mechanics between your house and Texas would be a good start.

My concern with taking my rover on long trips would be ending up in a local garage where the mechanic has no experience working on LandRovers. He could make a simple repair worse or have you spend days waiting for the wrong part to arrive. That's what would sketch me out...

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing a list of LR dealers and local mechanics between your house and Texas would be a good start.

Your suggestion made me look for a location-aware app that might provide that info during road trips. I didn't find one, but I did find this. It may be old news but seems like a bookmark-worthy resource for road trips:

http://www.lrshops.com/

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your suggestion made me look for a location-aware app that might provide that info during road trips. I didn't find one, but I did find this. It may be old news but seems like a bookmark-worthy resource for road trips:

Thanks, I haven't seen that link.

Interestingly, the local mechanic I use who has an LR specific shop is not on the list, and there is another one listed I've never heard of. I suspect you have to pay to be on their "comprehensive list" and small shops usually don't.
Still, it's better than nothing when traveling.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM