255/70/18 KO2 fitment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought a 2011 LR4 and am anxious to swap out to more rugged tires. Has anyone here fitted these 255/70/18 bfgs before? I know I'll need 18" wheels. Will probably do lr3 wheels with spacers

I'm in Colorado so lots of snow and rocky trails/dirt roads. I also tow a 5k lbs trailer full of dirt bikes around. I think the ideal for me would be more sidewall at stock width. I'd like to keep the suspension at stock height and don't want any rubbing. I'm willing to do some mods for clearance as needed. I've read here where 265/65/18s usually fit ok. The 255/70 should be 0.5" taller and 0.5" narrower. Not sure how that impacts fitment.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicle height is not the limiting factor when it comes to tire size. Hitting stuff inside the wheel wells is, particularly the front wheels when turning. You will likely hit the frame horns aft of the front tires, and you may have some issues with the ac lines running to the rear. These are all fixable, though. The main issue is that tires of that height would also render the vehicle immobile should there ever be a suspension fault that drops the vehicle to the bump stops. The 265/65's are as big as you can go and still have a drivable vehicle should that happen. Running the strut spacers that places like Lucky8 offer would solve this problem, but you are opening pandora's box to a bevy of other potential issues there.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I was hoping that the reduction in width would offset the height in terms of clearance. Sounds like that's not the case, at least with respect to being able to drive on the bump stops (something I would like to retain) I wish they had KO2s in 255/65 sizing. I'm not trying to totally max out tire height, but more trying to avoid going wider (which tends to reduce snow performance).

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 255/70 is the size that the Expedition Portal project LR4 was running, but they sold it to a LR Tech in Las Vegas before they ever addressed the bump-stop issue, I think.

If you use the IID tool (aka the GAP Diagnostic tool), you can reset garden variety suspension faults and keep on truckin', but in the event that you blow an airbag or something else on the trail, you would be screwed.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looks like they used a 265/70/18 Falken WildPeak which measures out at 32.9x10.7". The BFGs I had in mind work out to 32.0x10.2. So maybe they would work w/o rubbing (but might be immobile with it on the bumpstops).

mshale

Reaction score
Crazy how just 6.2mm difference is the one that makes the vehicle undrivable on the bumpstops.

Thanks for the info, I’ll now be looking for the correct size after finding a good wheel to fit. With the 265/65-18 are there any offset limits for the wheel? I was planning on the 06 LR3 wheels plus a spacer of about 30mm but I don’t know the offset of these wheels.

Edit: the 06 10 spoke has an offset of 53.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy how just 6.2mm difference is the one that makes the vehicle undrivable on the bumpstops.

Thanks for the info, I’ll now be looking for the correct size after finding a good wheel to fit. With the 265/65-18 are there any offset limits for the wheel? I was planning on the 06 LR3 wheels plus a spacer of about 30mm but I don’t know the offset of these wheels.

Edit: the 06 10 spoke has an offset of 53.

To you guys considering spacers:
1-you don't need the 30mm, 25mm is enough. No need to make it worse than necessary and yes, spacers make all aspects worse. The beauty of the compomotive wheel is that it's effective extra offset is just barely enough such that you gain ONLY what is needed to fit the 18" but retain maximum wheel tuck into the body which is very important.

H&R makes a very very nice 25mm as well as the 30mm, I have both. The stud is a spline type and pressed in from behind unlike some that simply thread a basic bolt in from behind that can loosen.

2-use of the strut spacer does not fix most of the turning radius issues that a tall or wide tire will run into. It only helps with fully flexed limit into fender liner upper arch. Still you have to make all the body and frame and fender liner mods as noted numerous times. Not doing these mods is asking for trouble.

3-255/70x18 is pretty darn narrow. It would work but 265/70x18 is a more ideal proportion on an 8" wide wheel. Similarly, 285/60x18 is too wide. While looking cool it's **** for section shape and handling plus it causes more clearance problems than it's worth while gaining very little.

4-sizing between tires. BFG ko2 run a bit small relative to some others. For example I have same size, both E load range, BFG ko2 and a Michelin MS2 with the Michelin highway tread being notieably taller and wider at section. It's sort of bizarre as you'd expect the bfg tread to stick out more. So, the 265/70 may fit a little better than predicted.

5-not to pick on anyone too hard but people complaining about the cost of the UK compos should rethink their priorities and choices when spending so much on an lr4 that would then require a more expensive 18" wheel solution to be done correctly as well as more expensive engine maintenance. I think they're worth it but it's just part of the cost of ownership. I'd be in an lr4 for sure if I hadn't been just fine with this lr3 since I bought it new in 2007. Doing some things "the right way" usually pays off in the long run so getting the wheels that work best is a no-brainer to me. You click 'buy' and they show up at your door. so easy ;) I had to source my 17's from UK and it was such a PITA over 2 months but I also have 4 sets (5 ea) of LR 18's that were all cheap and easy to find. The compos are so easy to choose now.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the details! I may well go with compos, not sure yet. It'd be an easy choice if I liked their looks :) So broadly the more tucked in the better in terms of tire clearance? My stock tires are 255/55/19 so the 255 section width would be consistent with what I have now.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the details! I may well go with compos, not sure yet. It'd be an easy choice if I liked their looks :) So broadly the more tucked in the better in terms of tire clearance? My stock tires are 255/55/19 so the 255 section width would be consistent with what I have now.

No, I was thinking more about it’s height but shops for mentioned the width because the proportion is different. Your tire is wider than a 255/70-18 would end up which is more like what you’d want on a 7” wide wheel.

If you have cash to spare, Mudtech has s few cool options for wheels.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM