4x4 info screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erdoc38

Reaction score
Since it's been snowing around us lately, I've been using the Grass/Gravel/Snow function, with the 4x4 ino showing on the Nav screen. There is a open padlock over what appears to be the transfer case and the rear diff. I've never seen them change to the "lock" position, and there is nothing in the manual that discusses this. Anybody have more insight on their functions?

Also, when pulling into the garage last night, an icon popped up in the driver info center that I've never seen before, and isn't discussed in the manual. It looked like an overhead view of the front end with the front tires and axle in white. It was gone before I could really look at it. Anybody seen this before?
Thanks!
Ryan

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it's been snowing around us lately, I've been using the Grass/Gravel/Snow function, with the 4x4 ino showing on the Nav screen. There is a open padlock over what appears to be the transfer case and the rear diff. I've never seen them change to the "lock" position, and there is nothing in the manual that discusses this. Anybody have more insight on their functions?

Also, when pulling into the garage last night, an icon popped up in the driver info center that I've never seen before, and isn't discussed in the manual. It looked like an overhead view of the front end with the front tires and axle in white. It was gone before I could really look at it. Anybody seen this before?
Thanks!
Ryan

I believe the two "un-lock" icons remain un-locked until they're activated in particular conditions. I took my LR4 through a seriously deep mud hole a few weeks ago just to see what this thing to can do, and the center diff un-lock icon turned yellow and locked for a second. The rear diff (if you have HD package) should also do the same. But I think the LR needs to be in some seriously challenging situations to trigger those icons to change. At least that's my understanding. I'm glad you asked because I'd love to know more about this as well.

As for your other observation, I believe the 4x4 image of the front and rear wheels shows up on both the nav screen and between the speedo and rpm guages. At least I think I saw this just one time when I was in a mode.

Roversky

Reaction score
I would have to concur with Count Laszlo on the diff icons based on my personal experience. I have been on two dealer sponsored "wheels events" since we've had our LR-4 (nine months now) and during our off roading the icons would only show locked under the most difficult conditions.We have the HD package,and it is really unusual to see the rear diff indicator engage,but we have seen it,so i'm sure it's working. Never any traction issues under any circumstances so far,regardless of whether the diffs showed locked or not. This traction system really knows what it's doing!!

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all automatic. Rock Crawl mode will usually put you into full lock while climbing, if you have the HD option package.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Land Rover teases those of us that don't have the HD package. We still get to see the lock on the rear diff, even though it will never lock. It drives me crazy they couldn't find another truck that had the HD package on it. I would have gladly paid the $850 for it.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Land Rover teases those of us that don't have the HD package. We still get to see the lock on the rear diff, even though it will never lock. It drives me crazy they couldn't find another truck that had the HD package on it. I would have gladly paid the $850 for it.

Rob

I could not find this option either from any dealership and the only thing I could do is order a LR from the UK and honestly didn’t want to wait that long for it. Also, I believe it’s only needed in very, very extreme situations. And honestly, if it was a must, I think LR would have just included it anyway.

I think the real costs are in the full-sized spare which I believe someone pointed out in another thread costs well over $650, which is the option price listed on the Web site. $650 seems like a very small number for something that you “think” you can’t live without. IMO, coming from a marketing background, if the HD was crucial it would have been included, and if it really did something spectacular (well beyond the engineering already put into the LR) then it would be a $2K option. Don't get me wrong though, I wish I had it, for the sake of having it.

Last edited:

phraxos5

Reaction score
diff lock icons

I do not have the package, but I swear I have seen both those icons in the locked position before. My dealer said that it is impossible because it wont lock at all unless you have the package. But on a recent trip in rock crawl mode they never showed locked. Maybe I was hallucinating when i saw them locked before. I guess a good start would be to know the conditions when they should lock and check the icons during that time.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have the package, but I swear I have seen both those icons in the locked position before. My dealer said that it is impossible because it wont lock at all unless you have the package. But on a recent trip in rock crawl mode they never showed locked. Maybe I was hallucinating when i saw them locked before. I guess a good start would be to know the conditions when they should lock and check the icons during that time.

I read a way to confirm the rear diff locking is by wiring coming from the rear diff. I'm doing to check mine now, PS, I don't have the HD package so it'd be funny if the wires are there. :)

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the locking rear diff is also a lower gear ratio......it can def be helpful in the more extreme rock crawling situations......but none of the locking diffs really ever truly lock.....they do engage to reduce wheel spin but not completely.....usually only the extreme off road only after market diffs can lock 100% ........

Yes in the more extreme situations it would be helpful.....most of the time you would still be able to get through a situation......

I would guess when you see the rear locking diff lock without the hd package it could light up when the brake system is locking a wheel to transfer torque.......otherwise we are just simply speculating.....

Gregorio

Reaction score
I think the locking rear diff is also a lower gear ratio......it can def be helpful in the more extreme rock crawling situations......but none of the locking diffs really ever truly lock.....they do engage to reduce wheel spin but not completely.....usually only the extreme off road only after market diffs can lock 100% ........

Yes in the more extreme situations it would be helpful.....most of the time you would still be able to get through a situation......

I would guess when you see the rear locking diff lock without the hd package it could light up when the brake system is locking a wheel to transfer torque.......otherwise we are just simply speculating.....

All manufcturers are different in how they employ their locking differentials. Some are indeed only Limited Slip and not true locking differentials but are labeled as such. Land Rover Active Locking Rear Differential option does NOT include lower gear ratio. It is an electronicly activated locking differential not Limited Slip and a full sized spare tire.

Under most conditions, the LR4 without ALRD will climb the exact same terrain as one with the option. The only difference would be how it gets the job done. The LR4 with the locking diff will lose less if any momentum as the rear wheels struggle to gain traction. After seeing an LR4 without the diff lock climb some seriously scary rocks, trees and loose dirt, I am convinced only the most ********* off roader will wish he had it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4