5500 miles road trip. snow & ice condition, -30 cold weather......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, don't know where to start this review. Forgive me if the story jumping all over the place.

We (me, my sweetheart, and the sweetsweet LR4) are just back from yellowknife, NWT Canada.It all start with us seeing the awesome pictures of the northern light, or aurora if you like to call it. I enjoy road trip a lot, because you decide where, when, and how the plan is.

Be honest, we never drive below speed limit, (My policy is know your limits, do not over confidence, and watch out for cops) By the way, get yourself a good radar detector, well worth the investment. Cops are getting smart too, they use "instant on", leave you no time to slow down.

We did about 950 miles the first day, kind of crazy, I know. Idaho has lots of snow besides potatoes. I know the Discovery handles well in snow, but it is the tire surprised me. I never thought the original Continental 4x4 contact can get that much grip. By the way, a M+S tire is never consider as a snow tire, do not turn or brake hard, as it will lock up your brake and lost control. ABS and traction control are not smart when facing icy condition.

Border crossing day, what we experienced is beyond our imagination. 2 hours of inspection, can you believe it? I watch Border Wars on National Geographic Channel, but come on, who uses a brand new Land Rover, driving all the way from California to smuggle drugs in to Canada? Use your brains~! They send us to the secondary inspection ares, "lock" you inside a room so-called waiting room. It has a huge glass window so you can see what those dumb officers do. And they are not good at what they are doing, put an endoscope into air intakes but don't even fold up the 3rd row seat~! I also have emergency ration hide in the rear A/C panel, that stays untouched too. Shamed for Canadian tax payers...

I love Canada, no police(remember we are from LA), and you pay your gas after you fill up. Canadians drive more politely, they do move to the right for faster traffic !!! It never gonna happen in California.

Back to the truck. I was able to average 16 MPG, speed over 90 mph most of the time, idle a lot in the -20C for heater, 1 tank 80 and 4 tanks of 85 octane ethanol gasoline, and 4 days of stop and go local traffic. I am amazed @!@

Snow chain? Not needed. I ordered a set of snow chain from Amazon. Land Rover's cost over $400. In addition, due to the 2 inch low clearance of the front tire, you do need to buy those cable chain. (Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ441) They cost $73 and tax free, free shipping too. Get the SZ441 for the 255/55 R19. Trust me, I bought the SZ435 according to their chart, but it runs small~! And remember, chains only on front tire~! Don't know why, but thats what manual said!

I did a lot of off road driving (with 10 inch snow or ice ) in town to find the perfect spot for the aurora. (Away from the city light, that means in the middle of the lake or deep in the woods) I just follow the tire track to be on the safe side. I have the control as long as there are snow. Snow mode and low range will never let you down; Couple donuts on the ice lake is fun too, you never need to worry about the tires..lol.

For the cold start, it starts right up at -20C; crank few more seconds at -30C. Battery feels strong, it got juice~!

The passenger side windshield fluid nozzle is the only thing broken. (Thank God) I never realized the windshield fluid is that important in the snow driving. Got it fixed at Land Rover Edmonton, AB. It was the hose under the nozzle came undone. My poor sweet can see nothing in front of her most of our trip..

What else do I need to say? If you guys have any question..just ask..I will try to answer it..

Last edited:

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6705114593_fcefb6bc78_b.jpg

6705117627_41a9828b40_b.jpg

First time at arctic circle, I drove to here....
6705120355_1b166cec5f_b.jpg

6705122561_f90a1b013c_b.jpg

Catching a ferry to cross the river..

Last edited:

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Regarding the border crossing, what is your nationality and race?

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds (and looks) like it was a great road trip !
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72