6 weeks old LR3 - check engine light number 4, should I contact a Lawyer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

appletigger

Reaction score
I smell lemon.... I purchased 2006 LR3 SE on Dec. 18. the first check engine light came on the same day. - they updated software. Second check engine light came back on a day after I got it back from servcie.
Another software update. The light was back on a day after. O2 sensor replaced. I got it back from dealer one week after.... they damaged the passenger door. repaint..... And a day after, ( yesterday) check engine is back!!!!

Should I file for a lemon law? I know in Calif., after 4 attempt on a same repair, I'm qualify for lemon.... Any suggestion or advise will be helpful guys...

Thanks

Cpa4S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell them you are going to ignore the light going forward as they can't fix it. confirm that if the engine blows it is their fault.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something's a bit faulty with Cpa's logic, but it sounds like fun for someone else to try.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appletigger: Write a letter to the dealership, send a copy to LRNA. Specifically outline the work that has been done, and how that matches up to your state's lemon law. If you have a case, just the threat of you enacting the lemon law is probably enough to get the thing fixed. Bring the letter to your next service, but make sure you send it to the dealer by registered/certified mail.

If they don't fix it after that, politely inform them they are in non-compliance of your state's lemon law and let them know you'll want appropriate action taken. They will try to negotiate a settlement (remedies depend on your state). That's when you'll need a lawyer.

BoulderGT3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jptruck said:
Appletigger: Write a letter to the dealership, send a copy to LRNA. Specifically outline the work that has been done, and how that matches up to your state's lemon law. If you have a case, just the threat of you enacting the lemon law is probably enough to get the thing fixed. Bring the letter to your next service, but make sure you send it to the dealer by registered/certified mail.

If they don't fix it after that, politely inform them they are in non-compliance of your state's lemon law and let them know you'll want appropriate action taken. They will try to negotiate a settlement (remedies depend on your state). That's when you'll need a lawyer.
Good advice and as always putting it in writing and having an audit trail is what matters in these types of issues. What a hassle.

I couldn't live with the CEL being on even if it's a bogus fault.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
or you could go the polite way and just ask the dealer to give you another vehicle... at 6 weeks with the same reoccurring issue they may just do that.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lawyers

Last time I checked my lawyer couldn't fix Land Rovers.

The engine computer is detecting an issue and I believe by legislation (EPA or whatever) it must invoke the check engine light, otherwise it would probably be just stored in memory and displayed as a non-critical service item.

Intermittent faults are hard to find. The DTC (codes) must have pointed to an O2 sensor issue. Could be that the tech is "hoping" that replacing O2 sensor would have fixed the issue. I think there is a TSB as well on the check engine light hence the downloads. New sensors are a pretty reliable parts (99.99%) so I would suspect another issue, or at least have tested the sensor to be sure. I would verify the sensor circuits (signal, heating) traceable back to the engine ecu plug, and possible power supply issues to the ECU as well.

Without the codes and being there the above is speculation.

Lemon juice does clean electrical contacts, in a pinch. Maybe that is what you smell.

appletigger

Reaction score
jptruck, thanks for your adivise. I've just came back from dealer, dropping off my LR3. This will be their 4th attempt, and I'll do as you said if this problem still occurs.
joey, I don't think they'll replace my vehicle with a brand new one. I bought it when they had $6,000 marketing support program in Dec. They don't have any 06 model, and I guess they're not gonna offer '07 model...

BELLROVER

Reaction score
Have they checked your LTFTs? tell them you want print outs from ids

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635