65K miles, what services do you recommend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
65K miles, what services do you recommend? (summer trips)

Hello all,
I have an 06 that I've owned since new. It turned 65K miles and I have some travelling to do this summer. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what services should be done. I know the mileage is not all that high but I'm open to suggestions. Mileage is pretty crappy hovering at about 13-14 mpg no matter how I drive. Up to 15 maybe on longer highway drives...

-Current Oil is Mobil 1 (5W-30) w/ Purolator Pure 1 filter changed about every 6K miles
-Air filter/cabin is about a year old
-Never changed any belts (inspected montly)
-plugs are original
-diffs and trans fluids have not been changed
-running prescribed tire inflation on f/r w/ Yokohama AT/S
-low coolant issue has been fixed once before
-airbag light comes on on the regular, not sure if clockspring or seat wiring

• I plan on running Seafoam if I can figure out which vacuum line to use
  • Cleaned MAF and throttle body last year
  • Anyone use a portable air compressor, if so which one for airdown/up (Viar?)
  • Any known failure points I should check before travelling?
  • Any code readers/reset tools around $100 or so that actually work with the LR3? Not really into the IID or Hawkeye since this is an '06

thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much travelling you are doing or where you're going (like what terrain and all that) but the only thing I'd be sure to do is the diff oil.

Your T-Case can wait 10k miles and your tranny fluid can probably wait 25k miles (but now is good, too). ...but the differentials should be done now, IMO.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and then every 15k miles after that.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider the breather mod as well re front diff.

Changing oil in both the front and rear differentials is a good idea. If you do not have the rear E diff, they both take the same oil - and not much of it either which is why changing oil makes sense.

You might consider replacing the front differential breather cap as well. The link below explains how. It is one of the few stand up no bending modes that is also cheap and easy to do.

http://bit.ly/1bWCPz6

And then there is my favorite, install a new brake light switch if you have not done so in the past couple of years. The new one keeps nasty messages from showing up on the dash display.

http://bit.ly/11MyYA6

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info and links, much appreciated. I will certainly get the diffs done before I leave. I know I read some stories from before but does anyone have recommendations on what fluid? Should I stick with LR or is Royal Purple ok...

I am going south from PA to OBX so I am looking at a Viair 88P and Terraflex air deflators. On that note I am also open to suggestions for sand driving, tire psi, etc..

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR oil if you have the E diff, suggests me.

I always use the official LR fluids but that is because I do not know much about oil, let alone why it is that all things Land Rover tend to be a bit different.

I think enough of the guys use Royal Purple products in their 3's that by now we would know if their oils were effectively a boat anchor production line.

At the same time, if you had the E-diff, I would use the official Land Rover oil as not many know too much about the E-diff. As such, I would doubt any oil designer could afford to pick up on the differences for a niche product. It is not so much the quality of the unobtainium required but the grade of the star dust that apparently matters.

The owners manual calls up SAF XO for the Front and Rear non locking differentials; for the rear locker, SAF XJ.

For the V8 petrol engines a GF3 oil, but for the V6, a GF4 oil. I try to stick with a GF3 spec oil for my AJV8 4.4L petrol as I regard GF4 oils as too new for what I regard as an "old" engine design.

The transfer case apparently wants Shell TF 0753 oil.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. My trip to OBX went off without a hitch. The LR3 handled great. 21MPG avg for the 400 mile drive.

**(bbyer, good work on the guides over on the disco forums, extremely helpful)

Here's what I ended up doing.
-replacement brake switch (for good measure)
-front diff breather
-Royal Purple in front/rear diff, and transfer case
-Lucas oil in Power Steering
-Royal Purple oil and filter in engine
-air filter, cabin filter
-checked brake and coolant

In the sand 22lbs all around in Sand mode with DSC off did the trick, had zero issues.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The technology within the 3 is not yet old.

I appreciate your comment regarding the guides. When I got my 3 a few years back, I found it difficult to obtain material so that whenever I did find something, I decided to try to make the info available to others.

I note that a surprising number of the files in the albums have over a thousand hits on them now; the odd one is now nearing two thousand.

What I find interesting is that for what is supposed to be getting to be an old vehicle, nine years later its technology is just now starting to become mainstream.

Projector headlights have finally shown themselves on Chev pickups; the PWM alternator electrical design is becoming common on Ford vehicles; the MOST optical bus infotainment system remains cutting edge but is not totally unknown any longer.

Four corner air suspension is available on some Jeep products now so I tend to regard that as mainstream acceptance of the concept. In the mean time, it has been an obscure system for which information has been very limited.

http://bit.ly/14WWDgQ

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99