92 Classic Not Starting.. Sudden

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lemontin

Reaction score
Big sudden issue.. any help is greatly appreciated.

I got my oil changed on my 92 classic Range Rover today, also had him check the brake pads and tranny fluid and replace one clamp on a lower hose that was leaking a little antifreeze. When I got back into the car the 'check engine' light was on. It has 93,600 miles. The light was never on before.

We could not find an obvious issue so I left for home and we decided we'd look at if it didn't go out when I bring it back in a few weeks to have the brake pads changed.

Well, I never made it home. I stopped to rent some movies and them stopped to get a pizza.. when I got back into the car it refused to start.

Here's what I know from my own investigation before having it towed back to the shop.

1. It has gas.
2. There is spark at the distributor cap.
3. We smelled fuel after several attempts to start it, so fuel seems to be getting into the motor.
4. We shot starting fluid right into the intake housing thingy and there was no effect or attempt to start.
5. I looked at the fueses right in the dash board and all seem ok.
6. It was running fine before this happened.

I'm guessing it's some sort of sensor or relay somewhere else. The reason for the starting fluid was to confirm my thought that even though it was sparking at the distributor cap, there seems to be something that is preventing the motor from completing the spark in the motor.. relay or whatever..

Any help or ideas or whatever would be great..
Thanks for your help.
Tim

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did this not too long ago...It turns out the fuse to the fuel pump melted. This fuse is located under the front passenger seat. You can check the owner's manual for the specific one.

Lemontin

Reaction score
It appears that the motor is getting fuel, it smelled of gas after starting it. But, I was wondering where more of the fuses were.. I just started looking in my repair manual for things like this..

Thanks for the heads up..

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What was the code from the Check engine light?

Lemontin

Reaction score
I do not k now.. I don't have a thingy to check the code. I'm not sure if he has one either.. nearest dealer is a ways away.

Lemontin

Reaction score
Hey, that's a good start,, thank you VERY much..

How do I view this LCD readout? (rover is currently in the shop).

Is it the little black box type thing on the end of the black cord? (<----displaying my total command of auto mechanics terminology).

I ask this because on that link you provided it said I need to remove the side panel of the seat base to see it..and that does not make any sense to me. I do not remember any side panel there, just the one in the front of the seat base. When I think side panel, I think of a panel between the seat and the door, or the seat and the center console.

Last edited:

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the front panel of the seat base (I don't know why the website says side panel..?), and yes it is the little black box on the end of the cord. Once you put the key in the last position before starting, the black box should have a number displayed. Use the link I provided to make some sense of those codes, and you should have your answer

Last edited:

Lemontin

Reaction score
Thanks Isawicki... I'm going to print that and bring it with me to the shop tomorrow.

That link was also helpful to me for the future.. I didn't know the Rover "check engine" light was something more serious than the American "check engine" lights. I will remember that one.

Now I need to find a workshop manual online for those tests mentioned.... any links would be appreciated.
I appreciate your help .. Once I find out the issue I'll post it here...

Last edited:

Lemontin

Reaction score
Well, my 92' has no LCD on that black box. It's just a black box, all metal.

On th eplus side it's running again, so that kinda leads me to thinking it may be a catalytic converter typ thing.. who knows..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112