'95 Discovery Ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nico

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just acquired my first Discovery last thursday. I am new to the site, and although there are a few threads that somewhat address my issues, nothing I have found has been specific. So, please excuse the repetition: I am experiencing a rattling sound. It can be heard best from the left side underneath the front of vehicle. It seems to come from just past the exhaust manifold. The sound is muffled if I take a screw driver and pry the pipe slightly from underneath the vehicle. The rattling ony presents when the vehicle warms up; after about 5-10 minutes of driving. It is engine rev dependent, it seems to speed up with the engine and is louder on take off. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanx

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first guess is that you have a bad exhaust gasket (join the club :biggrin:). This is a relatively cheap, labor-intensive job that I've been putting off for some time now.

Suggestion I'll pass along (received from a friend) : Have new bolts present for when the old rusty ones break, or for when you have to grind off an old one that won't turn at all.

Nico

Reaction score
Thaks for the info and suggestion. But this looks like too big of a job for me. Wat do you think they'll charge at the dealer?

J

JerryT

I'm not sure I would take it to a dealer. I have taken mine to a trusted muffler shop and they replaced the bolts on both sides for $20.00. It was not part of the deal but I bought them a 12 pack.

H

Hampus

Do it yourself! It's pretty easy but might take some time. I'll have to do it too. Done it before on different cars. Worst one was a 1987 BMW, 8 hours. Easiest was a 1970 Ford Mustang, 15 minutes. But keep new bolts close to you, an angle grinder and some anti corrosion paste to put on the new ones.

"Land Rover, nothing brakes. It's all broken from the beginning"

Nico

Reaction score
I didn't realize that the local mufler shop would be able to do it. I actually have a pretty good friend who owns a muffler shop. I'll take it there tomorrow! And I know a case of beer will deffinitely help offset the cost. Can any of you guys tell me where the exhaust gasket in question is located? My expertise is in Emergency Medical Services, not in auto mechanics.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably start with the joint you were able to pry open with the screwdriver, and go from there.

Nico

Reaction score
Well guys, it so appears that the catalytic converter on the drive's side is the culprit. $225 installed at Iarapino's Muffler Shop - Butler, PA. Will be picking it up at lunch time. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink