95 LWB Test-Drive questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

MrDoug

Hey Gang...

Just got back from my first 'test drive' of an LWB. I have a few questions. (This is a different truck than the first one I'd shown you all...This one is on eBay right now. (White, in Cleveland)

#1 - When I accelerated hard, there was some 'Clicking' or 'Slipping' in (what felt like) the front-passenger wheel. U-Joint?

#2 - The Brakes felt Spongy...like they were pushing back. The truck seemed to stop just fine, and quickly, but I wasn't sure if that was the right feel or not.

#3 - I's been converted to springs. Is that a good thing?

thoughts???

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Brakes, could just need the fluid flushed.

Springs yes... good thing. You don't have to worry about EAS going out on you.

Clicking/slipping could depend on mileage and how well it has been taken care of... anything from Transmission slipping to Transer case going bad, to U-Joints.

M

MrDoug

So give me the WCS on the 'clicking'? $2K? If I can get the truck for under $4K, I wouldn't mind spending another 2-ish to make sure the thing will give me 150K more...

Right now, it's got 135K on the clock...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If just clicking... I wouls say U-Joints.... if slipping, that is a different animal. But you still should have no issues with fixing for under 2k... You can almost sourse a wrecked RR for that.

M

MrDoug

Hmmm....ok...so now I have to decide if I want a 95 LWB for 5-ish, or if I should just pony up $3K more and get an early Series II.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Now there is a issue.... I know I would love a Series, but I also like to drive my vehicle and not work on it all the time... Not saying it would be a reliable vehicle, just heard that they can be maintenance tasking.

I missed a chance at a nice RRC here in WV, just down the road from me... some kid had it for almost a year and then I heard it was for sale.... gone... never seen again.

M

MrDoug

So you are saying that a 95 LWB is a better truck than a 98-99 Series II Disco?

(Curious...because I don't want to make a bad decision.)

S

sodirty

95 LWB test

I just bought my second RR Classic LWB (95 Black LWB with 205k). My first one (93 Green LWB with 256k) brought me to Costa Rica and back...twice. I lived down there for a year. I am diehard land rover, period. But hands down, the RR Classics are so much cooler than your discos. Today for lunch some guy came up to me and said 'hey man, what will something like that cost me? $60,000?' and I just kind of chuckled and looked at my buddy (who has a 98 Disco) and grinned. God, that makes me feel fantastic to hear **** like that. Damn thing is over ten years old and still looks sharp as a tack. Find the right LWB and go with it. It's such a great vehicle to cruise around in. Im in love with the 'floating roof'.

PS I registered here just so I could put my two cents in on this thread. =P

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635