AC out....sort of

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my AC has been working on and off. In the morning it seems fine, then middle of the day when I start it, it is blowing cold, but there is a loud blowing noise when I accelerate coming from the engine area. This noise goes away when I cut the compressor off. I have no clue. Also at idle with the compressor off it idles normally, with the ac on it idles at 1100 rpm...***?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The high idle is normal, it does this because it is a variable displacement compressor, no clutch. The noise you're hearing is the fan being commanded to full lock. This could either a fault with the fan, a software issue, or normal based on what the current conditions are.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, when the fan is on "full lock" I have no AC. So either software or a relay?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it's either a fault with the fan itself (or damaged wiring), or it's a software issue. Fault codes need to be pulled and go from there. A generic scanner may not give you what you need, as proper diagnosis of this requires the 6 digit P code, not just the 4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99