Accessory Outlet Charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to enable the LR3 accessory outlets to charge when the vehicle is off? I've never had a vehicle where they are off when the car is off. I realize it is a safety feature to avoid killing the battery but highly irritating when you want a little cell phone juice and the city you live in has a no idling bylaw. Also never had a battery die from charging my phone. My Audi does it fine.:hmpf:

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd need rewire one of the accessory ports... basically run a new line from the battery, bypassing the switched power. Sorry.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I realize it is a safety feature to avoid killing the battery but highly irritating when you want a little cell phone juice and the city you live in has a no idling bylaw. Also never had a battery die from charging my phone. My Audi does it fine.:hmpf:

I agree, it is annoying. However, if you were going to idle your car if that was a choice, you can just leave the key in the ignition switched ON and the outlets stay up. I make sure I turn off the NAV, heat, lights, etc...to limit the battery drain, but, all the computers powered up will still chew on your battery life so you can't do this indefinitely.

It is an annoying "feature," though. They should have one "always on" jack.

zlr3z

Reaction score
Not as annoying as not being able to use homelink with no keys. Grrr.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, that's kind of a good feature! Do you want someone smashing your car window and then opening up your garage? (okay, I guess you can do that with a garage door opener on the visor, but this way seems a little more secure IMO...)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635