active locking rear diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly does 'active' mean, does it mean you push a button and it locks? Or does it do something automatically? Does a truck without it have some sort of limited slip on the rear or no? Mine currently doesn't have it, but I'm looking at getting a new LR3 and wondering if I need this? Sounds cool, but not sure it's necessary. Anyone offer up any opinions? Also, how much of the full size spare hangs out the bottom? Does it reduce departure angles?
Thanks so much.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 100% automatic. Standard vehicle is center locking differential only. Full size wheel/tire doesn't impact the advertised departure angles.

Does it help? In theory, yes... in reality, even without the rear locker, the LR3 does well in almost every scenario . I've used both in some ******** scenarios (I own one with the locker), and the non lockers did fine... maybe trying a touch harder in some cases.

DefenderFanCA

Reaction score
I have the active rear differential. It was a $500 option as I recall - quite a bargain (the "heavy duty package.") I can't control it in any way - it is fully automatic and integrated into the terrain response system.

The full size rear tire could hang in some off road situations, although it is tucked up pretty good into the under carriage. A bigger problem would probably be accessing it in order to change out a flat - there are a lot of off road situations where getting under the truck could be difficult. Also, the spare tire well is a very tight fit, and a larger tire (if you went aftermarket) would either have to be somewhat deflated if it would fit at all. There are aftermarket swing away tire mounts for the rear deck lid though, if this concerns you.

As an upside, the swing away tire mount helps dress up the rather bland rear of the truck (the only real styling shortfall on the vehicle, in my opinion.) You can also then get one of those cool rear tire covers with a nice rhino or lion on it. Always liked that look.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I don't think the full-size spare affects departure angles significantly...it may not be any lower than the rear diff, which is really the important part. Also, the carrier for the tire (on the non-fullsize spare) seems more pronounced to me, and that may drag as much as any tire.

I think the rear locker has to help. How much it helps is tough to determine....but for the money I think it's worth it (if you plan to go offroad).

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The $500 option for the full sized spare and rear locker is the biggest no brainer in the history of the world. The wheel and tire is almost worth the $500, and you get the locker for FREE.

A non locked LR3 will try to use the brakes to achieve the same thing. Which do you think will perform the best?

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The full size spare might hang in some situations, but so what? Wouldn't you rather rub the spare than something else back there?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I should have added that I am looking for a used truck, many of which do not have this option. Just trying to decide how high up on the list this requirement should be.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to off road, it should be near the top of your list for desired options. I've driven both, and gone wheeling with both, and have been wheeling side by side with both. I've always been able to do anything a locked LR3 could do, but it's always been more difficult and dramatic for me. The locker makes difficult items considerably easier.

There is only one challenge that I have not been able to make it up where several locked LR3's walked up with ease, and that was a Moab on an uneven rock pile. I only had one wheel on the ground, and it just wasn't enough. The other LR3's were able to make it up though.

mzaver

Reaction score
As some folks have said the $500 cost should be a no brainer...When I tried to find an '07 LR2 with the rear locker my dealer couldn't find one - I'd have to wait for months (I also wanted a black interior another item that doesn't seem to be readily available).

Since the option is only $500 it would seem to make sense that LR just add this to all vehicles. It would seem to me to be easier to have this as standard versus not...just my 2cents:argh:

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the very nature of your question, you will find your answer. Since it is a LR, you will take it off road. By the nature of your question, "what is a locker" basically. . ." may indicate that you don't have a ton of off-road experience. Without that experience, a rear locker may be a life saver.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Running20c