air pump for rear suspension.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMS3Reno

Reaction score
Hey, Have any of you gone from a rear air ride to a std spring in the rear...AND
then used the air pump for an air supply in the rear of the vehicle?

I was thinking that I could just bypass (wire together the wires) the front switch
and then re-rout the wires from the leveling switch at the rear to a manual on off switch
that I could mount in side rear panel along with the re-routed air supply.
I was thinking of routing a new supply hose from the pump to the new supply.

Biggest question is would it be worth it. :confused:
And I mean would the pump be strong enough to provide a descent psi.

If this would work then I figure I'd have to hunt down the wire to the dash light
and disable or re-wire it. Maybe wire it to the new on/off switch??

What else am I not taking into consideration here?:ahhhhh:

Thanks for any help!!

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything is possible

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

Sounds to me like you have your work cut out for you.

It’s possible to do, but why ? And by the way, the pump pressure is the least of the engineering issues.
But I do believe you could do it…….. and if you complete it successfully, you’ll have bragging rights on this topic….

But you already have bragging rights on the most modern suspension design available, ……………………………and you don’t have to do sh!!......

When I was a lot younger I bought a 74 Mazda pickup for $1000.00 and wanted to turn it into v-8 powerhouse 4x4, and with the smaller truck I thought I was going to save tons of weight. I gutted it and looked at the cab. The cab was all spot welded at the seams. I thought to myself, I’ll make it stronger, I’ll weld all the seams with an oxygen/acetylene torch. I did it, and it did make it stronger to some small fraction of a degree I suppose, It was probably more psychological than structural. I had to re-dip the whole body at great expense, for corrosion control. I ran all new wiring, Dana 60 front and rear axles cut and angled for proper driveline angles, built 350 Chevy engine modified to 429 ci stroker with a b&m blower with over 600 bhp @the crank, 350 turbo trans and a 205 new process transfer case. When this monster was finished It weighed in at 4300 lbs, that’s roughly 200 lbs lighter than a stock ¾ ton Chevy 4x4 at the time…….. I even took it to 5 different scales to weigh it for DMV registration in denial of it’s weight………………. Yeah, it was awesome..................
And I never did this again……but I learned from it.

But if you do it, and you’re successful, You’ll have bragging rights……………….

Best wishes……. take care.......... Chongo
:bandit:

DMS3Reno

Reaction score
So no one with experience dealing with the factory air pump?

Not like I'm changing out motors here...:confused:

So for those who have replaced their rear air with OME Springs.
Did you have to do anything to disable the air pump?

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Airbags to springs

I found this on this site I'm sure they can direct you to where you need to purchase the kit

http://www.robisonservice.com/articles/RonR_fall2003.asp

Can New Range Rover (1995-2001) models be converted to coil springs?
Yes. A kit is available to replace the air bags with coil springs. The kit includes a box that fools the body computer into thinking the air suspension is still there, so you do not drive around with a warning message all the time.

Your converted truck will sit at a height between the former “standard” and “high” profiles. It's appearance will therefore remain stock. Off-road performance will be about the same as before but you will not have the worry that your suspension will go flat and leave you stranded on the trail.
If you convert our experience has been that you get a slightly softer ride than you had with air springs. We Usually replace the original shocks with Bilsteins at the time of conversion. The coil spring/Bilstein package gives better lane-change maneuverability than the stock air suspension in my experience.

Installation of the spring conversion can be done in a day. No special tools are required. Look for an article showing pictures of this conversion in an upcoming issue.

I hope this helps............. Chongo:bandit:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boye1