Air ride suspension and WDH/Sway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

cdncrew

Looking to get New 06 HSE, Have a question about towing

We have 4000lb tent trailer to tow and I am woundering about the use of a weight distribution/sway control hitch. Have seen comments on other forums that you can not use a WDH with LR3. Is this true and Why???

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's in your documentation. It is not allowed. Probably related to the self leveling air suspension. Just stay under the tongue weight limit and you'll be fine.

J

jcegold

laod you trailer right and you will not have problems down the road. No need for the load or sway bars on a trailer that size for a lr3.

S

schafari

The weight distribution hitch will constantly try to transfer the hitch weight to the front of the vehicel. Going down the road, it will be transfering weight back/forth as the trailer and car move, and move up/down. The suspension ECU will constantly try to fight the trailer lifting/pushing down the front of the truck. That is bad. LR specifically says not WDH.

Sway control is different thing altogether. That is not a big deal from what I understand on the LR3.

Regardless of loading the trailer correctly, you need to pay attention to hitch weight. The weight of the trailer on the LR3 is likely not the critical point. The hitch weight however is. Not to mention, getting a reciever riser that will allow your trailer to be level. LR say only a 2.75" max IIRC. . . I needed something like a 4" - 6" to get the trailer to sit level. . .

J

jcegold

To expand about and what causes sway it has to do with hitch placement in relation to rear axle. Since the rear has no overhang to say, the sway will be minimal if any.

Loading trailer put the heavy stuff over axle. Keep it simple and have fun camping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635