Air Suspension Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As absurd as it sounds, a vehicle that is in need of major servicing, and maybe taking care of a few other complaints, can easily reach that kind of dollar amount. However, that does not mean that it really needs that much work preformed right now, or that it is all safety related. There is also a very good chance that a good amount of that is over-repair. Repairs should have been prioritized for you by the dealership, because there is way more then immediate repairs included there, or you have seriously been neglecting your vehicle for far too long.

But say you were written up for an entire new front suspension(including springs - like I said, over repair), compressor, brakes, tires, full fluid services, a differential or two... you get the point.

I would definitely suggest a second opinion.

To the OP, yes, absolutely start with changing out the dryer.

Last edited:

LTCU

Reaction score
LR Community thanks for the input.

By the way, how much noise should the air compressor make when operating normally? I took the family into the National Forest for a Christmas tree over the weekend and I noticed that I can hear the compressor running until the suspension fault tripped and then it went silent. I would not call it loud but it was definitely noticeable.

thoughts?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Dave stated about dryer, i would also start to reconditioning your compressor with a new dryer and overhaul kit , that LR dealer can sell you, which is a pack of a few screws, O rings, needed to renew a few parts on compressor's body, for about 20 bucks.Dryer itself it probably more that $ 100 now, but it is well worth the money, compering to the price of a compressor .I am not sure about the noise, but your's could also become loose on the bracket, so it might need some re tightening, but since you gonna take it down anyway, just make sure you use a blue locktite on compressor bracket screws later on..
Over time dryer becomes caked with moisture and it takes longer for compressor to inhale air that always comes thru dryer first..to the point of overheating and throwing faults such as yours..
I already renewed my compressor twice , with overhaul kit and new dryer and I am still on the original one, since 2005.Good luck

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's really remarkable that your 2005 compressor is still going strong! I'd say that this really shows that moisture in the system is usually the culprit for failures of the compressor.

LTCU

Reaction score
Thanks, great advice.

I found the recondition kit for the air compressor online. Looks like I have my weekend activity.

Does anyone know if the recondition kit comes with instructions?

Thanks again!

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, great advice.

I found the recondition kit for the air compressor online. Looks like I have my weekend activity.

Does anyone know if the recondition kit comes with instructions?

Thanks again!

No instructions.You just have to sort of figure it out by the look and size of parts.It is basically a bunch of screws,two springs and O rings.I don't remember the proper name of part that smaller spring and O ring goes to, it might be a intake silencer port, but the second much firmer spring , big O ring and four remaining screws go to Exhaust valve.Just remember to buy the most important part which is dryer itself, otherwise the rest does not matter really.Good luck

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering for reference (I'm not planning on doing this anytime soon hopefully) but how does it compare to rebuilding a small carb?

LTCU

Reaction score
Some lessons learned. I improved my air suspension but I did not fix it completely. I removed the compressor using the hex bolts. If I had to do it again, I would have purchased a universal wrench and removed the air compressor frame from the frame of the LR3. The bottom hex bolt was easy. The other two easily took me an hour each. The other challenge I had were the air hoses would not come off. I ended up unbolting two of the air hoses and never could get the third off. To get the blue air line off the dryer, I ended up stretching the hose and the air suspension works better now then before I replaced the dryer but I am definitely leaking air from the blue hose at the dryer which is causing the same fault. If I don't use the air suspension then I don't get the fault in normal driving which is an improvement. I will be heading to Land Rover this week for a replacement. I examined my dryer and it has the crack between the blue and orange air hoses in the cap that other posts had identified as the problem. From the inside of the cap, I could see that air was leaking from a crusty build up. Looks like that was my problem too. I hope this helps the next person that takes on this challenge. Merry Christmas....LTCU

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635