air suspension leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nuchc

Reaction score
Hi I have an lr3 2007 and when I park it over night I noticed the suspension is down. I think it's not an airbag or it would be down only on one corner. All corners are more or less even. Can anyone point me where to look for the leak.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to disconnect the air suspension, or better disconnect the battery overnight and see what the result is before proceeding. The vehicle auto-levels every six hours when parked, Disconnecting the battery prevents that.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the auto level program

I agree with *** that what you are seeing is normal and probably the auto level program at work. The only way to shut it down is to disconnect the battery - remove the cable from the negative post is probably the easiest way of doing this and then measure next morning. If there are mechanical leaks, well you will still have a drop, but if the dropping is solely due to the auto level program, (parked on an un-level surface?), there will be no drop.

It is possible to have a leak in one corner and then the auto level program detects that and drops the other three corners so disconnecting the battery will show if maybe one corner is dropping by itself and the other three are a result of the program in operation. Most of the problems are not too difficult to resolve once the real problem has been determined.

The link below is to some files I have posted. One or two of the pdf's are pretty explanatory as to how the air suspension system works.

Insert for the **** disco3 co uk and put periods in the spaces between - blocking you know.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3778

nuchc

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your replies, I removed the fuse F26 in the engine compartment and it still went down. maybe that doesn,t stop the auto leveling. I will try disconecting the battery tonight and let you know tomorrow. Thanks

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also agree with "***." I like ***...

nuchc

Reaction score
Hi. ok I disconected the battery last night and these are the results. this is how much it went down in mm.
front left 32mm front right 28mm
back left 11 back right 11
I guess the front went down more because of the engine weight or is the leak in the front. You guys have any idea.
Thanks

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did the drop compare to not having disconnected the battery. It sounds like the front valve block or a subtle leak in the lower corner perhaps.

Just this weekend I say a front passenger side air strut airline burst. It appeared as though it had become brittle from heat near the bend. You might feel it, soap those types of fittings and see if you can see anything obvious.

It might be worthwhile to attempt to soap up the air line, air bag, and look for leaks. The other likely culprit seems like possibly the front valve block, which is located behind the bumper on the left side. The unfortunate part, is the bumper has to come off to change it.

There may be other opinions here, before you run off, wait for other replies.

nuchc

Reaction score
HI tlt the vehicle lowered about double the amount with the battery connected. Is there any way of seeing the front valve block to spray soap on it without removing the bumper. The problem is the leak seems to be small. I will try this weakend. So you think the leak is coming from the front. Why is the back going down too.
Thanks

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI tlt the vehicle lowered about double the amount with the battery connected. Is there any way of seeing the front valve block to spray soap on it without removing the bumper. The problem is the leak seems to be small. I will try this weakend. So you think the leak is coming from the front. Why is the back going down too.
Thanks

The valve block is on the back side of the bumper and is plainly visible with the wheel liner removed on the right side (passenger side for us spec cars).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635