Air suspension options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

penguinpwrd

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm debating the purchase of a late model LR3 to get me back into the Rover scene. I miss my Discos, and I have a new baby and dog to cart around now, so it makes sense to come back to the dark side :p

Anyway, I want to pick up an LR3, however I have a number of issues with the design of this vehicle. The worst bit, in my opinion, is the air suspension. No purpose-built off road vehicle would ever consider such a thing, and if they did, it would have to be military grade for anyone to even consider taking it anywhere "rough", lest it fail. So, I'd really like to remove it entirely, and move to coils. I have not yet found a "kit" for this, though, and it's starting to make me thing that such a thing doesn't exist. In looking at the replacement bags, however, they seem to be the size of a standard spring, and look as though they mount into a perch that may be used for coils? Have any of you maybe even done this? If so, can you tell me what was required, and where you got the kit?

I was hoping to just move to an OME/Bilstein combo if possible. Thanks in advance!

-a

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm debating the purchase of a late model LR3 to get me back into the Rover scene. I miss my Discos, and I have a new baby and dog to cart around now, so it makes sense to come back to the dark side :p

Anyway, I want to pick up an LR3, however I have a number of issues with the design of this vehicle. The worst bit, in my opinion, is the air suspension. No purpose-built off road vehicle would ever consider such a thing, and if they did, it would have to be military grade for anyone to even consider taking it anywhere "rough", lest it fail. So, I'd really like to remove it entirely, and move to coils. I have not yet found a "kit" for this, though, and it's starting to make me thing that such a thing doesn't exist. In looking at the replacement bags, however, they seem to be the size of a standard spring, and look as though they mount into a perch that may be used for coils? Have any of you maybe even done this? If so, can you tell me what was required, and where you got the kit?

I was hoping to just move to an OME/Bilstein combo if possible. Thanks in advance!

-a

From the experiences I have had with mine and others I have read the air suspension really doesn't have the problems the earlier systems had. (Compressor seems to be the weak link). There currently is no kit to convert the LR3 to springs because of the electronics involved (maybe not even possible?) You can however find a few (25ish) base spec LR3s in the states that are coil sprung, They are all 05's. I rather like the air suspension on mine and wouldn't change it for anything. Maybe you should be looking at an 04 D2??

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air suspension greatly enhances the functionality of the independent suspension (with the cross-linking). I think Ryan is right; either stick with the air suspension or go for a D2 if you want coils.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade my LR3 for any other vehicle, air suspension or not!

penguinpwrd

Reaction score
Hey guys...thanks for the responses. I had an '04 D2, and to be honest, I'd go back to a D1 if I had to. I really like the LR3, but the idea that my fate in the middle of the styx is down to a couple of airbags, I'm sorta scared. :)

It surprises me that there isn't more of a demand for this...does anyone know where some good technical information about the air suspension, and the dependencies listed above can be found?

Thanks again!

-a

Last edited:

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Penguin,

The reason that there is not a huge demand for this is that they really don't
fail that often. As stated above these systems have been pretty dependable.
I felt the same way you did when I first bought my LR3. But after making it
out of the "styx" time after time without incident led me to believe that these
systems were pretty solid. Before you make your final decision check and see
how many points of failure the 04 discos had and compare that to say an 07+ LR3.
Good luck!

DD

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
air susp on LR3

The air suspensions on the previous RRClassics / P38 range rovers / disco 2's are nothing like the system on the LR3 or RRSport. Even the 2003+ range rover system doesnt seem to be as reliable as the air suspension on the LR3 / range rover sport.

Sure, at some point when the truck is 6-10 years old, its probably bag replacement time (rubber degrading/cracking/leaking air). We're not really yet to that point with LR3's in the USA.

penguinpwrd

Reaction score
Interesting. Out of curiousity, does anyone know anything about the suspension on this rig?

lr3.reiter-side.fog.jpg

This is my ideal height; I assume it's a body lift, now that you've all chimed in about the air suspension, but I still have to ask. If anyone can provide some insight, I'd appreciate it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4