Air Suspension Reserve Tank; What happens when it goes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was rinsing off my car this weekend and noticed that rust on my air suspension reserve tank (is that what it's called?) has progressed quiet a bit. I think if I knocked on this lightly with a hammer I may go right through it.

BUT, I don't know how it is constructed. Can I let this go a while or would you replace it now?

photo3-vi.jpg

I also wasn't sure what happens if this fails. Is it one of those suspension failures that will force me to a slow speed or will it just prevent me from raising the vehicle? I have a road trip planned next weekend and I'd hate to be 300 miles from home having to drive back at 45 mph or something...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should replace it. I runs under pressure so that the compressor does not have to run continuously. It's a known issue. If it goes, you will end up burning up your compressor and you'll be on the bump stops.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Mine is covered up by my sliders; tough to inspect....hope it is getting some protection from that though, too...from water, salt, etc.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at it up on the lift yesterday with my mechanic. Doesn't seem so bad up close. It's mostly just the outer paint layer.

I'm going to try hitting it with some rust converter or something like that. Seems like a better first approach than a $1200 job or whatever it costs to replace that tank...

Anyone have a product they recommend?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635