Alpine window removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slipstick

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 95 Discovery 1 with some rust developing under the rubber seals of the alpine windows in the back. Do these windows simply push out or do I need special window removal tools to do this? I can't find a reference online to this operation.

Tay

Lazarus

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 95 Discovery 1 with some rust developing under the rubber seals of the alpine windows in the back. Do these windows simply push out or do I need special window removal tools to do this? I can't find a reference online to this operation.

Tay
Hi Tay,

How did you get along changing your Alpine window rubbers? I have the same problem with my Mark 1 89' Discovery, and am looking to change the rubbers also.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Wish I could help here, and I am sorry that I never noticed this post before (I do miss a few). When I got rust on my Alpine windows I had a window shop remove the glass for me... Saved me the trouble of trying to figure out how to put them back in... I hate working with windows... never seems to work out for me.

bleizit

Reaction score
If you don't have experience installing autoglass, this is probably not the cheapest piece of glass to teach you. The removal is pretty straight forward, but getting the new one in is quite tricky. One small little twist of the alpine glass while getting the old rubber molding out or the new rubber molding in and the glass will be in pieces falling to the ground. If you're going to take it out on your own, be certain to remove the trim casing first by removing the 4 studs and seat belt anchor (torque back to 32 Nm or 24 ft-lbs). This will allow you to loosen the molding around the glass from the inside. Have someone outside and secure the glass as you separate the molding from the frame of the vehicle. Once removed you should be able to separate the molding from the glass. If you choose to do the install, place the molding around the glass and then have a little mineral oil and a q-tip to apply the oil to the frame where the molding lip gets really tight. Keep in mind that labor from a glass company should cost around $30 per window to install. Good Luck and remember to post an update to let everyone know how it went.

Lazarus

Reaction score
Thanks for you advice, I have ordered the rubbers for the Alpine windows and will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Laz

rover47

Reaction score
Getting the window out is easy. Just remove the sealing strip from the center of the rubber channel. You can then push the glass out from the inside. Use new seals to put the glass back in you will need a special tool to reinstall the sealing strip. Snap On part number YA 208A and you also will need kent K44 silicone paste to lube the strip during installation. It might be better to send it to a glass shop. It would be a quick job for them

Lazarus

Reaction score
Good on ya! thanks for the info. I think I will take you latter advice and get a glass shop to do the doo.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge