Alternator Knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so my engine knock turns out to be coming from the alternator.. no big deal, just replace it right, simple job.. well. nobody in my area can get one till wednesday, which leaves me in a situation. Has anyone ever had this knocking alternator? Do you think it would be safe to drive for one day in this condition until I can fix it?

D

disco1

I've never heard of a knocking alternator. Are you sure that this is where the noise is coming from? To be certain, place the metal end of a screw driver onto the alternator case and with the engine running, place your ear over the handle of the screw driver. You will immediately know if it's the alternator at fault. It could be a cracked housing perhaps, but I'm more inclined to think the knocking noise could be coming from around the tensioner pulley area. As for driving you vehicle, it depends how loud the noise is. If it is your alternator, and it is still charging properly, and you don't see signs of it parting from its mounts, i'd continue to drive it.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. I have not done the screwdriver test, however holding my hand against the alternator you can feel the vibration - holding hand on the power steering pump yields no feeling of vibration. I have found only one reference on the internet to a knocking alternator, and it was from someone with a nissan maxima - he said it was related to the bearings inside, which, makes sense to me. I'm concerned that if it is the bearings, if they sieze up, I'll shred my belt and be stranded.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What Disco1 says is very good advise, or you can spend about $12 and buy a mechanics stethiscope. Then you can almost tell what bearing is going bad, yes they are that sensitive.

P

parthog

Put a mark on the belt, and one on the alternator. If it is the belt, it will knock once per rotation of the belt and if the alternator once per rev of the alternator. Either way, it sounds like it could be a piece of crud on the alternator pulley or a bad spot on the belt (or two).

- Jeff Miller

N

nick325ic

I had the same problem, I found one at a junk yard for $45 and through it in in 20 min. Mine wasn't draining the battery though just made aweful sounds.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ngomac