An Aussie Hello here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mycarrocks

Reaction score
G'day all... I have a 3.9v8i disco 1994 preupdate. The car has had hard starting issues since I got it over 4 years ago. I'm chasing the issue currently and think I may have found the problem. All its takes now is finding where I can get an ingnition amplifier module on the cheap.
I've changed heaps and done heaps to cure the hard starting (hard to start when cold only or when resting for more that 30minutes).
Anyway. enough of my banter. I hope to find the solution and hope I can lend some assistance.

John

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... have you checked the fuel temp sensor?

mycarrocks

Reaction score
G'day Joey!,
I bought the Disco used in 2003 and it did not have a Fuel Temp Sensor attached. I bought one, fitted it and it made no difference. I hoped that it would make ALL the difference. What I have done as well is, iridium spark plugs, 2 new starter motors, ignition coils, distributor caps, rotor buttons, HT leads, coolant temp sensor, different grade oils, injectors pro cleaned. I just bought a fuel pump yet to be fitted. I renewed the fuel pressure regultor, new fuel filter, air filters, MAF adjusted and cleaned, cleaned the idle control motor heaps, new batteries, cleaned the earths/grounds...

I guess it comes down to fitting the fuel pump, doing voltage drop tests, checking all the wiring. Once the car starts it idles great, has plenty of grunt, no lag, no hesitation, no missing. I reckon it's electrical. Once I find it I will post the solution here. What I have found on many forums is that people will ask for solutions but never post the solution. Maybe they simply forget these forums. I will not do this, hoping that my solution can help many others.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Two other thoughts:

Get rid of the Iridium plugs and buy some inexpensive non-platinum champion plugs (read cheapest ones)

Second: This could also be a crank position sensor they are known for going bad.

mycarrocks

Reaction score
I'll change the plugs.

The Crank Sensor, is this also called the ignition pickup module inside the distributor?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope this one is located under the engine.

Crankshaft position sensor (CKP Sensor)
The crankshaft position sensor is the most important
sensor on the engine. It is located in the left hand side
of the flywheel housing and uses a different thickness
of spacer for manual and automatic gearboxes. The
signal it produces informs the ECM:
- the engine is turning
- how fast the engine is turning
- which stage the engine is at in the cycle.
As there is no default strategy, failure of the
crankshaft sensor will result in the engine failing to
start. The fault is indicated by illumination of the
malfunction indicator light (MIL) on North American
specification vehicles.

mycarrocks

Reaction score
I'll get under the car in the morning and have a look for it mate.
No engine lights come on in the dash though... It starts but after some serious cranking and a bit of throttle.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Cranking and a bit of throttle could also be leaking injectors... even though you had them cleaned, did you have them pressure checked?

Engine light will only happen on a USA model version.

mycarrocks

Reaction score
I get a strong smell of unburnt fuel from the engine bay but cant spot any fuel leaks at all... I'll have an auto elec test the injectors and the its wiring and do voltage drop tests.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo