Another keyless entry question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scorchy

Reaction score
Just traded in my wife's 08 Range Rover Sport SC for a 2011 LR4 (Gray, HSE, Vision, 20" wheels, Logic7) and so far we are really loving it. Despite supposedly being a "step down" from the RR Sport, I like everything about the LR4 better, and can't wait to take it on the beach (Assateague Island, MD) this summer.

However, I am currently obsessed with one inconsquential issue that a forum search hasn't been able to clarify. Both the owner's manual and LR instructional videos talk about keyless entry, i.e. pulling on the handle opening a locked door as long as the smartkey is nearby (not pressing the button on the key fob). I simply can't get this to work, and was wondering if I'm missing something. The doors lock/unlock with the fob no problem. Push-button start is A-OK. I wouldn't even have noticed/cared if it wasn't for the manual/video.

The only thing I can see is that the manual also makes reference to "keyless locking" and shows a door handle with a button on it. The video for keyless entry shows the same button. My LR4 doesn't have this button on the handle. Out of curiousity, I drove to the closest RR dealership yesterday and noticed that 2 of the 4 LR4s in the lot had this button. Is this simply an instance (like Voice Command) where later production models no longer have this option?

Any input would greatly ease my curiosity. Thanks!

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you made a nice choise with the new LR4. When my wife and I sat in all the trucks at the Land Rover dealership, I just couldn't see that the RR or RR sports were any nicer inside than the LR4. I'm sure there are details that are nicer like the floor mats and a little more bling around the dials and switches, but for the money the LR4 rocks it.

I don't believe you have the keyless on your truck. Mine is a HSE LUX and it has the little buttons on all the door pulls.

Rob

Scorchy

Reaction score
Isn't passive keyless entry part of the LUX package on the 2011 LR4?

I feel silly for posting this now, b/c that does appear to be the case. It's just seems strange to me given that my window sticker (and many reviews) call "keyless entry" a standard feature, but I guess the missing "passive" may mean something. Of course, my sticker also said that the interior had the black lacquer inserts, even though it doesn't.

Oh well, mystery solved. Thanks!

Scorchy

Reaction score
Sounds like you made a nice choise with the new LR4. When my wife and I sat in all the trucks at the Land Rover dealership, I just couldn't see that the RR or RR sports were any nicer inside than the LR4. I'm sure there are details that are nicer like the floor mats and a little more bling around the dials and switches, but for the money the LR4 rocks it.

I don't believe you have the keyless on your truck. Mine is a HSE LUX and it has the little buttons on all the door pulls.

Rob

I have to admit that I never loved the RRS like my wife did. I still think it looks great, but it was never truck-like enough for me (full disclosure: I drive a Nissan Titan). The LR4 just has so much more interior room and storage space, and definitely has more low end power than our '08 (granted the new engines probably address the latter). Also, even though the LR4 looks good in it's own right, I feel like I won't obsess as much about keeping it pristine given that it's supposed to go off-road. While the RRS handled itself admirably when we went to off-road events, I couldn't get past all the scratches and banged-up trim.

Anyway, in just the week we've had it, I find myself choosing to drive the LR4 over the Titan a lot more than I did with the RRS.

DugLR4

Reaction score
can that system be adapted to a 2011 LR4 that doesn't have it? just have the regular door handles?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my preowned 2011 LR4 I went through the same spike of joy-- "Awesome! It has keyless entry [which I took to mean passive] AND autodimming headlights!" Wrong on both counts (and also on my hope that it had streaming Bluetooth capability for music).

Bottom line, the disappointment didn't last long at all. I put over 70K and lots of memories on that great vehicle before trading it for a 2013 and I enjoyed every mile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM