Another Suspension Fault - with pattern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pchak

Reaction score
As with most folks, I've read countless threads here with the Suspension Fault warning. I find bits and pieces, but nothing exact. I've been monitoring it about a month, and now see a pattern. I'd like to get some feedback.

1. The LR3 in the morning has a slightly lower, even height. Upon start, the car will readily raise to normal height with no warning message.

2. Driving down the street, I will get a warning chime and message between .5 and 1.5 miles. This street was repaved this summer, and is smooth as a pool table, with no bumps. (so I don't think it's a loose elec. connection).

3. If I start the car, and then cycle between off-road height and access height, and then back to normal before leaving, I can go 8-10 miles without a warning.

I never get a red light, or other error with this.

I'd love to hear what some folks think, before I start taking things apart.

Thanks!

djkronik57

Reaction score
What is the exact message that displays? Is the amber suspension light (the one with the arrows around the icon of the truck) illuminated?

Your best course of action is to read the faults that are stored with something like an IID Tool, they will give you a much better idea of which components are triggering the faults. Anyone with an IID Tool should be able to help you out if you don't have one. Where are you located?

pchak

Reaction score
Hi-
Just the amber suspension light (that's why I mentioned that there was no red light-sorry for the confusion). The display says "Suspension Fault -Normal Height only". I live east of Cleveland.

Thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIDTools are VIN-locked, so you would have to buy one...which is a good idea anyway. When this occurs, what is the status of Terrain Response and/or HDC? Try selecting a special program next time this occurs. I'm wondering if it's a brake switch or even just a bad bulb. Wait it's normal height and not access....IIRC the brake switch failure puts you at access. What happens if you speed up to highway speeds under these conditions? Try hitting 60 MPH and see what happens. If it's a cross-articulation failure it will dump you down and turn red.

djkronik57

Reaction score
IIDTools are VIN-locked, so you would have to buy one...which is a good idea anyway.

For fault reading, it is not VIN-locked. Just the other features. I used mine to read codes on the SO's Evoque.

Houm's suggestions are good starting places, and even potentially cheap (brake switch), but without knowing the codes you might just be throwing parts at it.

EDIT: This thread actually looks like the same exact symptoms and problem, with the compressor drier being the culprit:

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-...5301-normal-height-only-suspension-fault.html

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know, about the IIDTool...!!!!

pchak

Reaction score
Terrain Response and HDC do not fault out. I ran all the terrain response settings that I can without going into low range. I've been running on the freeway regularly, and speed has no effect. It will just give me the suspension fault and "normal height". And, it always resets to ok turning off the ignition.
Roger that on throwing parts!! That's why I was hoping that someone might recognize the pattern.
I read that article provided, and may be worth trying the drier. I already tried the hard reset, and charged my battery, though I may try that again.

Thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't encountered this pattern, man...sorry. Please keep us posted.

Scorpion

Reaction score
I had similar intermittent suspension faults. No leaks, working compressor.
The truck would do a low rider style dance of raising and lowering at stop lights.

IID tool revealed a failing rear passenger ride height sensor.

Replaced the sensor and it solved the problem

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key thing though, Scorpion....did you also do a full EAS Calibration once the new sensor was installed?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72