Anyone end up buying their Grenadier order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone closed on their Grenadier? Ours arrived and I decided to pass on it for several reasons:

1. The steering was just not acceptable IMHO for anything other than off road and putting around a farm.
2. The price for what you got was just too much
3. (probably the biggest issue) was the crappy fuel mileage.
4. We are just starting our lake house build and pretty much everything is about double what it use to be.

I could still afford it, but with inflation and fuel prices here in WA state hammering the crap out of everyone including my clients, I just decided that it's a luxury I don't really need.

Would love to hear from some forum folks that actually took delivery .

Any yes, we miss our LR4 for sure. I keep looking on BAT for a low mileage one that might tempt me.

All the best to forum members.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to drive one. I've heard a lot of complaints about steering, but I've daily driven a lot of solid front axle vehicles in my time and am curious how it measures up. Mileage does not concern me as much as I live 5 miles from my work and commute by bike 2 or 3 days a week.

I went through the whole deposit thing for a bit, but the stopping point for me was when I found out the closest dealerships would be in either north Chicago, which is just over 8 hours from me in Kansas City, or Colorado Springs, which is almost a 9-hour drive. They put a dealership here in town and it may be game on for me.

That said, I happened to see one in person this past Saturday parked just down the street from my home. Very good looking vehicle in precisely the type of way I want a vehicle to be good looking. Looks even more like the classic Defender in person than it does in pictures. As much as I love the classic Defenders, I'm 6'5", which pretty much ruled out ever owning one.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you driving now?

I had them call me and decided against it too. If it was 20k cheaper I probably would have been more interested, but you're definitely paying the early adopter tax now. It is also unproven, doesn't have much of a dealership/support network here (in the US) and the display in front of the driver could have been so much more.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know @Stuart Barnes started what looks to be the top web forum for the Grenadier, theineosforum.com. Looks like he hasn't posted here since September. Not sure if he still has his LR4 or how he's loving Grenadier ownership.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to drive one. I've heard a lot of complaints about steering, but I've daily driven a lot of solid front axle vehicles in my time and am curious how it measures up. Mileage does not concern me as much as I live 5 miles from my work and commute by bike 2 or 3 days a week.

I went through the whole deposit thing for a bit, but the stopping point for me was when I found out the closest dealerships would be in either north Chicago, which is just over 8 hours from me in Kansas City, or Colorado Springs, which is almost a 9-hour drive. They put a dealership here in town and it may be game on for me.

That said, I happened to see one in person this past Saturday parked just down the street from my home. Very good looking vehicle in precisely the type of way I want a vehicle to be good looking. Looks even more like the classic Defender in person than it does in pictures. As much as I love the classic Defenders, I'm 6'5", which pretty much ruled out ever owning one.
Same on all fronts, saw one in person just the other day. It is awesome and better looking in person. Truly sick looking the way this guy had it kitted out.
Passed on this and Rivian SUV due to dealership distance, plus already have solid front axle truck with bad steering compared to the LR4 (What's funny is that the Gladiator doesn't even steer as well as my '04 TJ Rubicon, also solid front axle. Nice job, Stellantis.)

Blueaz

Reaction score
I took back my deposit after they announced pricing a while back. Just too much for the mish-mash of components and what you are getting overall, in my opinion. The gas mileage was a deciding factor too. As was the not-flat rear cargo compartment. I just don't understand why anyone would make a cargo area anything but flat when seats are folded down. I have a few long-term Rover friends who have purchased one and they seem to enjoy them. I look forward to driving one again, and driving one for real on the road and off road without the Grenadier babysitters.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another hangup of mine I suppose is that for the price of the Grenadier, I could by a pretty nice used, low mileage pre-2019 G-Wagon. There are 3 or 4 Mercedes dealerships in town and the G-Wagon is fairly reliable regardless. And I wouldn't get to be a guinea pig buying the first car of a brand new automaker.

Ironically, however, I believe the Grenadier is actually built by Magna-Steyr, who also makes the G-Wagon.

Blueaz

Reaction score
Another deciding factor for me was the stupid BMW shift knob, handle, whatever you call it. The fact that they would launch their vehicle with such an obvious cop out on this part instead of designing something unique makes me wonder what else in that thing is rebadged and upcharged crap.

Attachments

• crap.jpg
    crap.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 15

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another deciding factor for me was the stupid BMW shift knob, handle, whatever you call it. The fact that they would launch their vehicle with such an obvious cop out on this part instead of designing something unique makes me wonder what else in that thing is rebadged and upcharged crap.
They couldn't even come up with their own body design.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72