Anyone install an electric brake control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoppyAnn

Reaction score
Why do you need a brake controller?
Here in the UK I do not know anyone who has had to fit one of them the brakes on the trailer are controlled by the tow hitch on my LandRover discovery 4 what seams to be what you call a LR4 is allowed to tow up to 3.5 ton the only thing I know that is different is the electrical connection here we use a standard 7 pin plug for the lights except on most caravans where most have changed to a 13 pin plug which includes charging for the caravan battery plus power for the fridge/freezer, security alarm along with any form of powered brakes but it is very unusual to come across, most trailer brakes work on the overrun system which is as soon as the trailer tries to go faster than the towing vehicle it forces the brakes to operate directly proportional to the difference in speed.

Only just noticed that this started in 2010 not sure why it popped up in my list.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just described "surge" brakes which are crap compared to a properly calibrated electronic braking system.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the UK they generally have tiny trailers and drive really, really slowly when towing. Very different environment from the US in this regard (I've lived on both sides of the Atlantic).

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the UK they generally have tiny trailers and drive really, really slowly when towing. Very different environment from the US in this regard (I've lived on both sides of the Atlantic).

This made me chuckle for some reason. Our UK cousins also call their travel trailers "caravans" which I think is cute.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9