Attempted Theft of Discovery 4...??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poloman

Reaction score
I went to drive my Discovery 4 one morning recently, only to find I could not gain entry from either key fob. Assuming the batteries were dead I took it to my local service centre who found this not to be the fault and have since had the car in for repair. I've been advised that it seems that someone has tried to steal the car off the drive overnight with an electronic device and has subsequently created all sorts of problems with even a new KVM Key system not being recognised. Basically the car is currently unusable and the Land Rover software repairs have not resolved the problem. I am advised locally that a number of cars are in the same position and remain unresolved. I therefore need to consider my options and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this situation or knows of it. Thank you

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I've not experienced or heard of anything similar. Good luck!

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
Well it should be covered by insurance....Thief damages a vehicle as they attempt to steal it that would be a covered loss. Get your company involved. Of course I am the US so your mileage may cary with UK insurers.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I presume what you are saying is that no one can now start the engine, let alone you being able to drive the 4.

The dealer organization will be helpless as they are generally afraid, (for good reason), of any software fixes.

You are fortunate that you are in the UK and that actually get a hold of Land Rover would not be as impossible as it would be in the rest of the world, (except maybe India). I would expect however that the factory would not be interested as their job is new vehicles. Fixing past production is not a priority as there is no margin in that.

At best, the suggested fix would be a replacment car and transmission computer, new instrument panel and new board behind the interior fuse box as in those bits is where most of the software resides; perhaps also the lock signal receiver/transmitter.

If instead as I expect, everyone just says "Gee you got a problem and the solution is a new D5", then as you are left on your own, I would suggest you contact the Black Box people per the link below.

They understand Land Rover software and are not afraid of it. With time, they will be able to provide the solution and know independents throughout the UK who would be able to successfully load the software fixes.

https://blackbox-solutions.com/

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed on the BlackBox website, they already have developed a device that purports to keep the Can Buss lock system from being tampered with.

You already have the problem, so that fix would is a bit late, but it pretty much proves they have the ability to resolve your immediate problem and then make certain it does not happen a second time.

https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/category/can-lock

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99