Automatic carwash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I typically go thru a local automatic carwash once a week. It does a great job and you get a free vacuum with purchase. However, this past week one of the side brushes took out my side view mirror. The owner said he would take care of the damage But I am not sure I will go back since I wouldn't want to risk any other damage. Have any of you had any negative experience with an automatic carwash? Would you go back?

Attachments

• IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 57

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, those are mirror caps. You can pop them on and off to change colors. You can find chrome ones listed on the LR4 Accessories Page. Are you sure it's actually broken, and not simply popped off?

Related thread:
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22464

Accessory Guide (see page 8)
http://www.landrover.com/content/us/accessories-kit-brochures/8-29-13_LR4_10.09.pdf
Yep I am sure. The cap flew off in the process, I was able to snap it back on. The brush from the machine actually slammed in to the mirror and completely stopped in the process. The mirror housing is very loose now and shakes while driving from the wind. It is very annoying having a mirror tremble constantly in your face.(especially at night) Also the mirror hits the Driver window when folded inwards. It does not stop in place like the passenger mirror does.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch, sorry about your damage. One of the many reasons I don't take any of my vehicles through automatic car washes.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if my LR3 has the same shell as LR4, but as I went thru a car wash in this past winter once, as i always wash my car myself, my mirror also is broken is some way as it terribly shakes during driving. I can't even distinguish a marque of the car approaching anymore...I was wondering if I can pup something up or pry out just to tighten it ...Joys of car wash..

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if my LR3 has the same shell as LR4, but as I went thru a car wash in this past winter once, as i always wash my car myself, my mirror also is broken is some way as it terribly shakes during driving. I can't even distinguish a marque of the car approaching anymore...I was wondering if I can pup something up or pry out just to tighten it ...Joys of car wash..
I was able to wedge a piece of cardboard in between the gap towards the bottom for a temporary fix until they replace the mirror. It does solve the issue, only thing is you won't be able to fold the mirror in.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this incident. When using a carwash I go for the brushless type, i.e. only hand wash. And make sure your local dealership also performs a hand wash. Otherwise I wash it myself, and in any case I end up detailing the car as I still have not found a car was who can completely dry a car. Unless of course you are paying for a wax job.

By the way, from you windshield stickers it looks like you are from Texas. If you happen to be in Houston I would recommend doing your carwash with Mister Car Wash. I have been using them for years and no complaints so far (knock on wood!).

Last edited:

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the damage! I wouldn't go back... I think I have only been through an automatic car wash once or twice with my LR4. I don't trust the brushes, I am always wary of the chemicals they use, and they are usually just too rough on the vehicles. I have done it when I'm in a pinch, but otherwise I bring all of my own supplies to a self-serve car wash and do it myself. Bucket, Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax Soap, and lots of soft microfibers!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90