back door lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malcq77

Reaction score
back door on my disco 1996 will not open from in or out looks like a spring as broken but can not find the broken bits to check and also can not find any decent diagram of lock mechanism to fit a new one can any one help thanks.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Door locks

back door lock

back door on my disco 1996 will not open from in or out looks like a spring as broken but can not find the broken bits to check and also can not find any decent diagram of lock mechanism to fit a new one can any one help thanks.

Ouch…….. My wife’s 2004 disco had both passenger side power door locks fail at exactly the same time a few months back, what’s the chances of that ? In which case we either have really bad luck, or some one in the door
lock engineering dept. knows his built in obsolescence engineering really well.

In any case, you will need to open the back door. This won’t be fun or easy. The rear door panel has to be removed from the inside. I’ve done this before, it’s not impossible to do.
In most cases I’ve seen one of the rods have become detached from the lock mechanism, due to the plastic retainer breaking off. All you need to do is to move the lever in one or the other directions and the door will open. There are two rods, one unlocks the door and the other opens it. you must first determine which rod has become detached. Once the door is opened you can remove the lock assembly and either repair it or most likely replace it.
The other case and scenario is far more difficult to perform, as the aluminum cover of the lock assembly must be removed inside the door. I’ve done this, but my advice to someone who hasn’t is it is way too much trouble to do to have it ruin your whole day…….. I’d have the dealer do it, that way if they break something, they are responsible, and you’re not.

Good luck………..Chongo
:bandit:

Last edited:

1sparrow

Reaction score
Hi,
I had the exact same problem on my 97 D1. Would not open from ether side. Fixed it from the outside in short order like 15 min. But this old brain can not recall exact procedure. Would go look at it to jog my memory but my Daughter has it. Will look at it tomorrow and check your post on your results.

I remember now the outside lever was corroded and stuck in the open position. So the lock could not recycle to open. Lubed it up and worked it loose. All the salty road mist collects up under the latch (door handle ). Hope this is your only problem.

Last edited:

tempestv8

Reaction score
Chongo,

Back door lock access on the DII is much more difficult compared to Disco I because the lock itself is not readily accessible from the outside.

But try this simple fix. Park the Disco II with the nose down, e.g. on a steep driveway. Use the remote release to unlock all the doors (back door may still not open).

Using the palm of your hand, give the licence plate light holder (where the LR logo is) several hard and swift whacks.

Try the door now. It should open.

As for the Pre 1999 Disco Series I, the lock mechanism can be accessed simply by prising the Land Rover green oval logo off the licence plate light holder. You should then be able to jimmy the lock open.

Lawrance Lee
'99 DII V8 auto
Melbourne, Australia

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps or not, but my 97 D1 is starting to have back door lock issues... I know I need to fix it... just don't have the time or space (living out of a hotel) any ways... to open my rear door I have to use the key in the lock for the back door as I turn it fully I can open the door with the handle.

bleizit

Reaction score
My back door '99D1 was siezed when I bought it. Remove the LR logo on the back handle assembly and you will gain access to the inner workings and such. I used a good penetrating oil (seafoam spray) and soaked the mechanism several times over two days and it worked loose. I then used a good white lithium grease and worked the mechanism several times and sealed it up. Been good for three years now! Good Luck!!

hrhcapdef

Reaction score
Back Door

My problem's a little different.....the latch on the back door was manually moved "up" and won't come back down and now the back door won't latch and close. I guess i'll have to call AAA or something.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Get some good lube on the handle... use a screwdriver to pry it down... move it up and down while lubing it and it will fix itself (or you will) in about 5 minutes..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM