Bemt Center Link and Fluid in Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qadhafi

Reaction score
Bent Center Link and Fluid in Tires

99 Disco II

I just needed a quick alignment and didn't have the time to do it myself [that and it was cold]. I dropped it off at a firestone service center down the street from my office. I called a few hours later to see if it was done [balance, rotate and align] and was told that they only rotated the tires. They said that that there was water in the tires [why they didn't pop the beads and drain them i don't know-would have been nice if they called me and asked]. They couldn't align it because they said it had a bent center link. Here come the questions.

1. The service guy asked if I put calcium in my tires [TrXus MT's]. I said no, but they were on the Disco when I bought it. Why would anyone put calcium in their tires? Could it be water? Hopefully it's not tire slime. I've heard of farmers putting water in tractor tires, but never auto tires. I'm going to get the beads popped tomorrow I guess, that may help some.

2. I crawled under and the tire rod doesn't really look all that bent to me, but it could be. I am assuming that the tie rod [aka center link?] is the rod running just behind the front axle. Am I right? If so anyone know of a good place to get one on the cheap? I'm going to start looking for some aftermarket stuff, since they are probably about the price of a factory one from the dealship. Either that or a used one. Any good used Rover centers that anyone knows about? [Mike, you told me of one before but I forgot it]

Last edited:

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Try www.rovercannibal.com for a used part. It is best to deal with them over the phone versus through email. I have used them numerous times with no issues.

The only thing that comes to mind would when you mention calcium is the use of a product called Equal. But that normally is used to balance the tires. HTH.

D

discomike

So you have a bent center link, sound like it is time to pull it off and straighten it, not a big deal to do. The shop was right, just a little bend screws up any chance of getting a straight alignment.
Quit hitting things when your out playing.
Take care,
mike J.

qadhafi

Reaction score
Yeah, that is the wierd thing. Haven't been offroad in a while [not in the Disco anyway]. The alignment has been screwy only for the past few weeks.

Not really sure how I could straighten it out besides pulling it off and slamming it into a brick wall. Would I take it to a machine shop?

Thanks Mike and Melissa. I hope I get this figured out soon.

D

discomike

A brick wall might be an option but a really large vice might be easier.
If this came on real quick and you haven't been off the road may be you have thrown a belt in one of your front tires??
Let us know how it turns out.
Mike J.

qadhafi

Reaction score
Here is something else- We've had a few cold snaps here in North GA lately and if there was any water in my tires wouldn't it freeze up and throw off the balance really bad?

D

discomike

Water could freeze in your tire and you could sure have a balance problem.
Wouldn't cause a pulling/alignment type problem but bot it would thump.
Mike J.

qadhafi

Reaction score
Had two tires pulled off their wheels, they were dry as a bone. Guess they just didn't want to even try and balance TrXus MTR's.

Has anyone here pulled their Tie Rod? It looks like it would not be all that had [2 nuts] but I'm worried about not being able to get it back on.

I can't get those fools at rovercanibal to call me back. Any more suggestions on where to get a used/aftermarket tie rod aka center link?

qadhafi

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. A guy quoted me $60 on this. That doesn't sound too bad but I'd hate to be able to pull it off and bend it a little bit to fix it. I might pull it this weekend and take a better look at it. It still doesn't look bent to me, but I was laying underneath it at dusk.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635