Bits Breaking/falling off...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delray

Reaction score
All in one weekend I had the following:

• Mechanism broke that folds down seatbelt receiver with 3rd row seat.
• Driver side door moulding popped off
• One auxiliary light stone guard fell off somewhere on the road. I pulled on the other off to see how it was attached and it peeled right off - glued
on??
• Rear bumper panel that covers tow point fell off somewhere.

Wishing the LR3 was made by Honda or Toyota. Even my 1997 Mitsubishi Montero didn't have stuff breaking like this even after 14 years.

I do love the vehicle, but really? Anyone know where I can get replacement stoneguards for these lamps? Searched the internet to no avail.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off....the 1997 Mitsubishi Montero is one underappreciated, awesome vehicle. That was the first car I ever bought (brand new) and after 8.5 years, I gave it to my parents for 6 years...and then they gave it to my son on his 16th birthday. That was 2.5 years ago and he's still driving it. It's going strong...250k miles.

The door moulding can just be pounded back on with your hand or a rubber mallet.

Delray

Reaction score
Thanks Houm, the rubber mallet did not work as the fastener/receivers (or whatever holds the pins) were too worked/open. Epoxy did work however :) It looks like Land Rover (or previous owner) put some kind of stretchy glue in those fasteners previously.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off....the 1997 Mitsubishi Montero is one underappreciated, awesome vehicle. That was the first car I ever bought (brand new) and after 8.5 years, I gave it to my parents for 6 years...and then they gave it to my son on his 16th birthday. That was 2.5 years ago and he's still driving it. It's going strong...250k miles.

The door moulding can just be pounded back on with your hand or a rubber mallet.

Cool. That Montero is what got me looking and learning about what a real 4x4 was back in the late 90's. The neighbors had a new Montero and it was SO cool. Shortly after that time in 1999, my 1982 Volvo 240 was dying so on a whim I test drove a used 1996 Discovery 1 on the "test tract" at a Land Rover dealer....and I was hooked. That 96 D1 also now has almost 250,000 on it and is still in the family as yours is :)

Had I known better I would have bought a 1997 Land Cruiser! They are now worth 5x my D1 and would have likely cost about 1/8 as much to get here! ;)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and had I known better I'd have bought a '97 Defender 90 or 110, which according to my peeps at Land Rover, they couldn't GIVE AWAY back then! Ughh....

I also had a "why didn't I look at the Discovery?" moment about a year or two after buying the Montero, as I'd loved LRs since I was in middle school. I guess I didn't think I could afford one (although the Montero retailed for about the same price) and honestly, the Montero was a better fit for me back then. I was 23 with a 1 yr old son, brand new job and the thought that I was gonna have a lot of disposable income. I didn't.

The fact that the Montero was absolutely indestructible really helped.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge