black sticky fluid from rearview mirror?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok this is kinda funny - my 98 D1 runs great but the other day I get in the truck and notice the rearveiw looks like a cheap lava lamp - then notice the fluid directly below it - is this the 'auto dim' in the rearview doin the LR twist?

no big deal but has anyone else had this happen - can I 'overhual' the rearview mirror? lol

yeah rovers do leak!!! everywere... lol

Kestreljr

Reaction score
You got it- the Auto Dim is done. The obvious thing to do is buy a new one, which is what I did. However, after installing my new one- I ripped the old apart to see if I could have just cleaned out the fluid and you can. (obviously you loose the auto dim function) It was a pain to get the mirror apart, but then the back of the mirror just wipped off fine and the front of the mirror was crystal clear. Although I didn't put the assembly back together, that would probably require some super glue.

One more thought- you could always go to a glass shop and get them to cut a replica of your existing mirror. I bet the cost would be under $25 including a new mirror.

Last edited:

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah - I think i will try option 2 - I really dont need auto dim - dont think it ever worked anyway
any tips since you have done it before - like how the assembly fits together - I am imagining I will have to pry it apart?
wonder if I could place the fluid/seal?
how much was a new one?

thanks
chris

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just remember not to let the fluid set on any surface that you like, it will eat the interior of you vehicle if not cleaned fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90