Borg Warner ignition wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here using those on Disco? 8mm kind? If so - which kit you got (p#)?
Or shall i be lab rat for that?

I feel funny about me magnecor ones after slicing one wide open and checking insides. And measuring resistance.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei, Do You not hane a supplier for Taylor wires in Your area? I may be able to set You up w/some from this direction if needed from Bumper tp Bumper. LRW.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i never actually seen Taylor makiing wires for our vehicles, thanks - i'll check that one out.

Here is some thoughts i that stirred it all:

While indeed its not all about path of less resistance - wires better be damn low resistant, overwise you basically wasting energy that instead would go into spark.
I had read all those magnecor documents, but then one phrase that i spotted on nissan forum kept bugging me - "how come if magnecor is so great , no one in serious racing world using them , nor manufacturers using similar ideas?". So i felt obliged to sit down and check what we got. And basically after fiddling with ohmmeter i found that Magnecors had lower resistance than OEM, but then BWD was lower than Magnecors.

Pity that off-shelf BWD wires got distribution side boots that wont work with Disco..

Oh and btw - while at it i pulled out my spark plugs to check - and viola. They had nice and clean contacts. Bloody gapping.. :) Finally figured correct settings, or so it looks like.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Sergei, I've had the same question for years regarding "why race teams don't use" and that is among the reasons I switch all of my applicable vehicles to Taylor Spiro-Pro wires @ my first plug/plug wire change. Taylor cable, located here in Missouri, makes the finest, longest-lasting spark plug wires that I have ever seen. The set that I installed on my S-10 12 years ago still fire the engine today, with no "leaks" or apparent damage! They are the toughest covered, w/spark plug boot molded right on to the wire, teflon(?) coated stainless spiro-wound cores. Under the hoods of the local oval track racers these, or the accel wires are usually found. I'm not an accel plug wire fan, so I use Taylors. (although I use accel coils, p/u modules, etc.) I'm not sure about the resistance, but they are nearly indestructable, high heat resistance, and very pretty, available in many colors! Great performance wires, which I usually hook to NGK plugs when availalble for the application. They don't make a Rover specific set, so I assembled mine from an 8 cylinder custom-make set, filled the boots w/dielectric grease & forgot about em'! @ the same time I did one of my four cylinders w/a 6 cylinder set, leaving me a spare cable for each vehicle. (Although I doubt I will ever need em') Good Luck, LRW.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i bit bullet yesterday and made meself set of BWD wires - reused boots and contacts from stock set (damn smart was to keep them around for that long, eh? :)).

It feels .. Hmm. Unusual.

Got to wait 'till alternator will come in on Friday to make final conclusions.

If it aint going to work ok - i will check out taylors. Lonnie - did kit came with custom boots & connections that can be used with disco's distributor cap?

D

dirtyjim

taylors are good wires. i prefer msd or moroso blue max myself.

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am happy with the magnecors but i traded up from stock with a 100k on them. they have ben under water and did not fail

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei-I don't have a distributor, but the wire set that I used came w/2 sets of boots/ends that I believe will fit about anything. I just used the ones that worked best. Thw MSD's & Moroso's are good wires, but I just like the way the Taylors have the spark plug boots molded to the wires. Good Luck, LRW.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is thing about magnecors i didnt quite get. I been sitting with 3 sets of wires before me and ohmeter.

So in relative numbers - magnecors averaged about 4 times lower resistance than stock old crappy ones (7mm). Which sort of explain some gains. But then BWD ones were 4 times better than Magnecors ( i am too lazy to put down real numbers, converting them. Some twitt decided it will be funny to graduate ohmmeter in 200 and then powers of ten * 200).

So i got all puzzled and figured that i'd keep BWD as test subject :) Pity all results are not gonna be any good for publishing for this week, as intermentiently working alternator screws things royally.

Btw i found somewhere that early MSDs were in fact having higher resistance than Magnecors.. Not sure if its the case now. I'd like to get my hands on set, but they cost 70$ odd quid for set. (BWD 838 is 42$ at local autoparts store, and have lifetime warranty).

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei
I think you are going over the top. the motor perfromance gained would be so small when comparing a good set of stock wires to an upgrade pair. the most important thing about wires is the jacket breaking down. the truck puts out a super high voltage which is looking for an EZ path to ground. If you have a crack in the jacket you could have 12 mm wires and no spark.

Just my electrician opinion

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM