borla or magna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_karl

Reaction score
Want to upgrade the exhaust of my Discovery and I'm choosing between the Magnaflow and Borla catback. They have almost the same price at http://4wheelonline.com so it's not really a big concern. Just curious here which one sounds better and can give me better improvement. Does anyone have real world experience with any of these exhausts? Thanks!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Real world experience says you are paying an awful lot for an extra 5 or 6 horse power.Unless you are going to improve improve the engines intake by head work, headers and hi performance cats, your engine performance will be slight, and sound noiser. If noise is your desire, cut of your resinator at no cost and try it for awhile.
By the way what sort of gas mileage are you getting and have you tried anything to improve it?

dj_karl

Reaction score
Just got my Terra Grapplers from Nitto|4Wheelonline. So far, I like their traction and handling. Very smooth on the highway. If you want something more aggressive, Trail Grapplers or Duractracs are some good choices.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a borla cat back and like it ok, though it's louder than OE which I don't like, but I bought it because it's stainless.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my Terra Grapplers from Nitto|4Wheelonline. So far, I like their traction and handling. Very smooth on the highway. If you want something more aggressive, Trail Grapplers or Duractracs are some good choices.

What the hell dude?! The thread is about exhausts not tires ;)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a borla cat back and like it ok, though it's louder than OE which I don't like, but I bought it because it's stainless.

That's funny. Of course it's louder! ;) I don't know of a single aftermarket exhaust that is NOT louder. Generally they are less restrictive, thus louder, and also allowing more hp/torque by being less restrictive.

I wish one of these companies had awesome downpipes and/or long tube headers though without getting into full one-off custom.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to upgrade the exhaust of my Discovery and I'm choosing between the Magnaflow and Borla catback. They have almost the same price at http://4wheelonline.com so it's not really a big concern. Just curious here which one sounds better and can give me better improvement. Does anyone have real world experience with any of these exhausts? Thanks!

I put the Borla on my 04 D2 back in 2006. I had a good reason at the time, I swear it, but I've forgotten now. ;) The mechanic guy is correct, it's one of the least value expenses you can come up with. What is it now, $750-$1000 ? I can think of SO MANY things that would bring more function and fun to the D2 than just a cat-back exhaust.

Also, D2 don't have much for sound deadening so you're really going to hear it, not always a good thing on longer trips.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID head light conversions and 3 extra bumper mounted HIDs.

Do you have a thread with those shown? My D2 can use better lighting for sure. PM if so, thanks! Curious about your choice for lockers too. I'm guessing for simple reliability and less complexity added to whole vehicle system.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mechanic guy is correct, it's one of the least value expenses you can come up with. What is it now, $750-$1000 ? I can think of SO MANY things that would bring more function and fun to the D2 than just a cat-back exhaust.
Two things. First, I hard a brain fart on my last post. It's actually a Magnaflow 16896. :rolleyes:
And yeah, they've gone up a lot. In 2007 I paid about $370 shipped which was competitive with a non-stainless exhaust. That PN is about $680 now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99