Brake Booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PUNKslip

Reaction score
I skimmed through all the threads in this catagory, and didn't see any titled, "Brake Fluid Pouring From Under Brake Booster." Am I the only person in the world with a bad Brake Booster that costs $3500. I have a '96 RR with antilock. There are still some available, but the truck isn't worth that much. I took the booster out, disassembled it, and found 12 small solenoids/servos, each having 2 "O" Rings to seal them in their respective bore. I suspect one of them is bad, or one of the bores is eroded. I am going to find some similar O rings and put it back together.........and not go near any steep hills for a while. The only other thing might be a leaking solenoid.

John O.
Crete, Ne.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also try and get a used one from "Will Tillery @ www.roverguy.com he is almost always parting out a rover. And great prices.

PUNKslip

Reaction score
The solenoid/servo area is what is flooding with brake fluid, then it is pouring out past the large wire harness plug and onto my dog, if she happens to be laying there. Otherwise it is making a mess of everything. It really pours out after it has sat for several days and the key is turned on, and/or started. It slows after a minute or so, then seems to stop all together. A rough measurment of the O ring is .926 ID X .070 thickness. I really need to make this repair to, if for no other reason, post a fix on the web. I bought the truck as a basket case, with the air bags deployed, the grill-bumper-headlights and headlight trim-hood-damaged by a deer. After the impact with the deer, the driver opened the hood to inspect the damage, and upon closing the hood, the hood liner fell into the radiator fan and took out the radiator, further damaged the hood, battery box and fan shroud.....oh, and a brake line. It is a total POS, and now I wish I had never bought it. And now this. I just want to drive it the 5 miles to work and back every day, not to take trips in. Cheap is good. I have a Jeep Cherokee, and a Land Roer Discovery, as well as a new Dodge Caliber SRT-4. I don't need this thing, I just wanted a project to tinker with.

John O.
Crete, Ne.

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow you have a lot of cars..... If you want a cool project then you should fix it for cheap, then put coils under it and add 3" of lift buy some 33's and have RoverTym build you a bull bar then take it to the woods! with all those cars it sounds like you probly have a few bucks to put into it!!! trust me, that thing is awesome off road, mine had 33's on it with the bumper and skid plate and all and it was awesome and definately turned heads

PUNKslip

Reaction score
Ya, I like cheap. This poor thing did come with the spring conversion and module. I can't say much more positive about it though. I need to fix all the major stuff, then focus on the bumper. The original is damaged, but I can salvage the center section and use it as a starting point for a home made one. I plan on making my own bumper, but need to do some measuring and head scratching first. I am puting on a set of Centerline rims, 20" that I had on a Dodge half ton, twhich have new Kumho 275/45 R20s. It needs new tires but again, cheap is the theme. I bought a set of adapters for about $180, and about $10 for the open end lug nuts to mount the adapters to the hubs. Better than $700, or more for new tires that I probably won't like.

John O.
Crete, Ne.

PUNKslip

Reaction score
I purchased some "O" rings from a fluid power vender in Lincoln Nebraska that were roughly the same size as the original ones. The salesman wasn't real helpful and pretty much told me I was wasting my time, but we searched on and did our best to use a dial caliper to measure the few he had that were close. I needed 12 but went ahead and bought a few extras just in case, installed them, and it hasn't leaked a drop since. I had a rough time with the ribbon style power leads to the individule solenoids, and did manage to damage 3 of them, but was able to repair them as well. Other than the cost of fuel to drive to Lincoln and back, roughly 40 miles, the total cost was $2.52. I will, as stated in a previous post, stay away from any steap hills for a while, so I can monitor the repair. :proud:

John O.
Crete, Ne.

PUNKslip

Reaction score
ABS Brake Booster

A while back, I had a thread about brakes on a '96 RR HSE P38. I had replaced the O rings in the ABS mod since one of them leaked. The O rings are still holding up, but it still takes forever for the brakes to pump up when I turn the ignition on. If I don't wait for the pump to fully charge the system, my brakes barely work. Has anyone converted the factory complicated brake booster out for a vacuum booster? Just a plane ol' booster. Someone mentioned it in my previous thread, but the person never elaborated. Does the Classic come so equipped?

PUNKslip

Reaction score
Also on my POS RR '96 HSE P38, I repaired the damaged hood with a hood scoop. And installed an ARB Bull Bumper made for a Classic but forced a couple things to make it fit., and installed a winch.

PUNKslip

Reaction score
Gotta Go

I have decided to go ahead and sell the Range Rover. I got my old Discovery back and need the space. I will continue to look for a solution to the brake conversion elsewhere. Surely it can be converted to a comon brake booster type system.
John O.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112