Brake line upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

campbell

I got the system flushed on Saturday and can't tell a big difference. That's OK though because I am sure it needed it, or would soon. I am going to order the Rovertym stainless lines tomorrow.
I thought about getting the DBA rotors and kevlar pads, but do the slotted/drilled rotors eat the pads up more quickly? I have also heard that going to the MY03 Land Rover calipers virtually eliminates the double pump. Don't think I want to spend the money to get the newer calipers.

D

discomike

I guess I have been lucky, after the first stop I never have to double pump the brakes, they are just there.
Yes, slotted and drilled rotors go through the pads slightly faster then factory rotors but it sure stops better.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh? I never had to do double pump on me Disco, nor with new lines nor with old ones :) Guess that would explain why i didnt feel difference :)

And even though they may eat through pads faster - hey, pads are cheap (well relatively), and its easy DIY job on Disco. But you got better stopping and far less squealing (mine are still squeal a tad after hot dusty trail, but it wears off while driving on highway afterwards).

C

campbell

Can anyone say with 100% certainty that MY03 calipers will fit, without modifications, on a 99 D2? I'll settle for 99% certainty.
Along with the stainless lines I am looking at replacing the rotors (Brembo OEM replacement) and calipers (Land Rover MY03).

Also, shouldn't Land Rover recall the calipers if this is the reason for the squishy brake feel on the 1999-2002 D2? Seems pretty unsafe that the brakes do not respond "normally" on the first pump. The MY03 calipers were changed specifically because of this problem. I have found many instances of other 99-2002 D2 owners with this exact problem. What would it take to convince Land Rover to recall the calipers, aside from many deaths due to brake failure?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

discomike

Beau,
I don't have an answer for you but would like to hear what you find out and do with your brakes.
Mike J.

C

campbell

I found out that the '03MY calipers are a direct fit, however I did not buy them. The treasurer vetoed that purchase pretty quickly. :)
I did put the stainless lines on and, maybe it's just my wishful thinking but, the pedal seems to have a better feel. The emergency pressing of the pedal is still "funny" feeling. Also a second pump is still preferable. In the near future I hope to add the '03 MY calipers to the mix and see if that changes anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo