Brake Pad Choices?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting close to needing Brake pads all around. Looking at the three most common choices

Ferodo: OEM Semi Metallic
Akebono: Ceramic
Textar: Semi Metallic (lower cost version of Ferodo?)

Akebono Pros: cheaper, no brake dust, much less wear on the rotor, quiet.
Akebono Cons: Less braking power, need more pressure on the brake pedal

Semi metallic Pros: Great pedal feel
Semi metallic Cons: More expensive, brake dust, prone to squeal, wear rotors faster

I'm inclined to go with the Ferodo pads because I like how well my LR3 stops for a heavy car and I have Akebono on my other car and the pads have less friction than the Semi-Metallic pads but my wheels are not black.

What pads have all of you used and would recommend?

BBLR3

Reaction score
I'm about to do front pads and rotors on my LR3. I'm getting a set of Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads.

I currently use these on my Lexus ISF. No noise, very low brake dust and perform as well as the factory pads, which had great feel, but had tons of brake dust and are very ******* the rotors.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend the EBC green stuff pads. They're a bit dusty and squeak a little bit when warmed up, but I notice a firmer pedal and slightly quicker stopping. Also, it's best to stick with the OEM LR rotors. They're actually sourced from brembo, good quality stuff. The other's I've tried (ebc sport/ oem-like) have warped really quickly.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I need to measure my rotors to see if I need to replace them. But they look fairly new with almost no edge lip. But yes I would use LR Rotors, or Brembo or Zimmerman. I'm not a fan of cross drilled or slotted rotors. Thanks for the EBC green stuff pad review. Iv'e heard both good and bad things about the EBC Greenstuff pads.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads.

I currently use these on my Lexus ISF. No noise, very low brake dust and perform as well as the factory pads, which had great feel, but had tons of brake dust and are very ******* the rotors.

From their website they sound like the Akebono's but better bite, even in cold. These sound like the best of both worlds. Too good to be true?
When are you going to install them? Where are you sourcing the pads?

Thanks
Brian

BBLR3

Reaction score
From their website they sound like the Akebono's but better bite, even in cold. These sound like the best of both worlds. Too good to be true?
When are you going to install them? Where are you sourcing the pads?

Thanks
Brian

I order them directly from Carbotech. Waiting on a callback from them right now. They may be out of cores to make the pads. I've had a set of the 1521 compound on my ISF for 10k miles now. The stock pads were very aggressive in initial bit and wear and had a ton of brake dust (similar to the LR3) Only thing I noticed after the change was slightly less initial bite, then they come in. Hardly any brake dust with the 1521 compound. I get more dust on the rear wheels than the front on the car. I attached a pic to show what kind of brake system I'm dealing with on the ISF. 6 piston brembo, drilled rotors. I would have absolutely no problem using these on the LR3.

Attachments

• 2008-lexus-isf_cc_003-5526.jpg
    2008-lexus-isf_cc_003-5526.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 123

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I attached a pic to show what kind of brake system I'm dealing with on the ISF. 6 piston brembo, drilled rotors. I would have absolutely no problem using these on the LR3.[/QUOTE]

Stock calipers on an ISF are 6-*** Brembos? (Big reds) Please tell Lexus thanks for not painting them Fire Engine Red. The black looks great.
geesh...I think you could run kleenex for brake pad material and still have good brakes on that thing.

Please post back on cost and lead time to get your cores lined with 1521.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pep boys platinum are around $50 for the rear set and have a lifetime replacement. I burned through EBC's in a year on the rear and switch to the PB's mainly because it was Sunday and they stocked them. The pads feel just as good if not better than ebc's and have been very quiet. Dust is good too. I was so impressed that I went with a set for my audi's fronts and they seem to be working out as well. I used to go higher end on pads, mainly Pagid's but for the performance, price, and lifetime replacement I really have been impressed with the Pep Boy's brand.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, good to know. Yah, I actually went though both front and rear sets of EBC pads in about a year. Took me by surprise when I started to feel the grinding. What kind of material are the pepboys platinum?

ps, BBLR3, how do you like your ISF? It's on my list of cars to look at along with the newer 5.0 range sport.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM