Brake pad question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, its time for brake pads on the D1. Is it necessary to install new rotors, or can I just replace the pads and go?

For some reason, I have always turned or replaced rotors on other vehicles. I think it was my crazy father that said it was bad for both pads and rotors if you put new pads on old rotors.

D

disco1

It depends on how many miles/kilometres you have done. You don't need to change the rotors each time you change the pads, unless you have worn the pads down to metal. Measure the minimum thickness of the rotors. The service limit on the front rotor is 13mm, while it's 11.68mm for the rears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As luck would have it, the inside pad on the passenger caliper was down to the metal. The rotor was grooved pretty good and none of the parts houses in town carried the rotors. So, I have them on order. In the meantime I went ahead and put in the pads, even on the bad rotor cause its my daily transportation. So, now it pulls to the left while braking. I guess the grooved rotor isnt making a flush contact with the new pad. Causing that side to not brake as well as the other. So, my next question is while I am driving with new pads on a crapped out rotor should I reinstall new pads with the new rotor? I should have the new rotors in a week and I only drive a few miles a day. Will the pads make it?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are only talking a few miles without hard long braking... it should be okay... just don't take any long trips.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I figured. Thanks for the help with the lame questions.

D

disco1

Just do a close inspection of the pads when you finally change the rotors. If you are not certain about the condition of the pads on the scored rotor, change them again, but I think they will be okay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112