Brake Pad Wear Sensor Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I did my brakes myself about 6k miles ago and today i got the brake pad worn message up on the cluster. I checked the pads and they have tons of life on them. I checked the brake fluid resevoir and everything is topped up. It’s definintely a sensor issue. It comes off upon restart of car and comes on again after a driving for over 10 miles. I’m not in the mood to buy a new sensor and install it. I don’t even feel like leaving my driveway. Can i just remove the sensor from the driver side wheel and cut and join the two wires together and zip tie it away? Also ill do it for the rear sensor if the message doesn’t go away. Is that doable for LR4’s? I did it on my bmw a while back. Thoughts?

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic these sensors are encased in gets brittle and is prone to cracking which leads to loss of continuity. If the sensor itself has been compromised then you can jump the two wires and it will turn the lamp off. I did it on my MY15. Sensor for mine was $9.00 on Amazon.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NICE!! Thanks a lot buddy. I took the front driver side tire off. Turns out there was play in the wire and it was rubbing on something in there. The side of the wire was worn away.

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
Its just me - but I would buy a new sensor and replace it - much cheaper than new rotors if you don't notice your pads wearing to far...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4