Bumping/Rattling while applying breaks down hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackRover

Reaction score
Just moved across country from the flat desert with my 05 LR3 (75k). Do not know if this is an existing problem, or if it just started...as I never had any hills to drive on in the desert. When I am driving down a rather steep hill, I apply the breaks lightly and I hear some sort of Bumping or rattling coming from under the truck. It must have something to do with the breaks or tires or suspension for that matter. (but it only happens while breaking down hill.) I recently had a break job, maybe 5 months ago, and just before I took my 1200 mile trip had an oil change.
Anyone ever experience something like this, ever or even after a heavy trailer load? I'm also hearing a pan or something metal rattle under the truck, but its different than this down hill problem. And doesn't happen all the time.

Any insights would help point me in the right direction when I attempt to visit my stealer.

BlackRover

Reaction score
Not sure about the ABS...I do know that pulling into my driveway, as the front tires hit the little incline to the garage, it makes the same sound (but not continuous like while breaking downhill) Wonder if it could be something funny with the front drivetrain, or even just the front wheels. hmm then wouldn't it happen all the time? Argh, I am dreading my next trip in to get it looked at.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a sound similar to that a few times. One time it was the rear anti-sway bar bushings...and the other time it was just a loose link in the front suspension.

lax_frat

Reaction score
I was having the same problem in my 05 LR3. Dealer told me it was the front lower bushings and ball joints. Was told it is cheaper to buy a whole new control arm (lower) instead of buying each part individually as the control arm already has everything built in. Dealer quoted me $1400 to replace both front lower control arms, but got an Indy Rover shop to do it for $950. (no Warranty). It is important to get it fixed as it can lead to more serious problems. The sound is gone, and the truck feels much more solid and smooth.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112