Buying a Land Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

agarabaghi

I am currently in the market for a new (used) car. I need something which will be able to tow my 3890lb boat/trailer over flat lands. Ive always been a fan of the land rovers, and really like the 03 model. I have found a couple of them for sale in my area rangine from 25k - 30k with low miles (under 20k). Basically I am looking for how reliable they are, how much maintenace they required, and other basic inputs i should look for when buying a used Land Rover.

Thanks, and i look forward to learning alot on this forum.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome ... I own a '03 SE-7 which is great. The 2003 in Canada has all the routine maintenances paid for for the first 4 years. Don't know about elsewhere, but this is a super bonus!!!

A

agarabaghi

what are the main difference between the S, SE, and SE7? do they have different motors or is it just trim and apparence differences?

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They all have the same 4.6 Liter engine, its just trip and apparence, an SE7 is a 7 passenger Disco, unless your going to haul lots of people I would just get a SE, nicely equipped.

G

GadgetRick

Go for an 04. You can get it in that price range. I just bought one as a used/demo vehicle with 6k miles on it for around $30k. The 04 brought back a locking differential (inside the truck). From what I understand, the 03 doesn't have this feature inside. Apparently, they brought back a few other things on the 04 which the 03 didn't have.

Besides, it's still possible to pick up an 04 sold as a new unit (although it's been driven). You'll get the full new warranty and you can, if you desire, lease it. Not sure if you can lease a used vehicle or, if you can, I don't know if the lease rates are worse than on a new vehicle.

You'll have no problem towing that weight either.

Good luck with your decision!

The Rickster

A

agarabaghi

No need to be leasing, I will be paying cash up front for the car. I dont like living the American Life with payments, everything we own is paid for (parents and I). Maybe its just out foreign mentality :). Anyways yea ive narrowed it down to the 03 or 04, and will most likely get it from a dealer with the rest of the warrenty and the 12,000/1yr pre owned warrenty. Am i correct with the assumption that once these cars have reached close to 50,000 - 60,000 and have been properly maintain that they are gonna be reliable for a long time. Seems to me that if a car is gonna break down (biggest problems not the minor ones) that they will happen before 60,000 miles.... i dunno i just like the knowledge that ill have full bumper to bumper warrenty up into the 50k miles.

G

GadgetRick

A Disco should last a long time if you properly maintain it. They are built to last, one thing I've always liked about Rovers.

Good luck in your decision and let us know what you wind up with!

The Rickster

T

texasrover

I think it would be hard to go wrong with either... Obviously the 2004 is newer, if you are paying cash then the year model is not that big of an issue. I hate buying last years new car and walking off the lot with a year old car, even if it does have no miles. You get the good deal because the depreciation of the car is already headed down hill. Yep, you still get the warranty but three years from now, you have a four year old car. That hurts you only if you are still paying on it and want out via trade in. You wont go wrong with either... If the locking diff. is true, I personally would like to have the newer with the locking diff.

Good luck.

M

MightyMax

I'm in love with the 04's. When i get rid of mine, an 04 is next on my list.

Once a Landy owner...always a Landy owner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4