Buying Advice for Teen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E

EJBasile

How much would it cost to insure would you guess. Fairly new car, high repair costs, young (male) driver.

jholewka

Reaction score
What state do you live in will determine insurance. In New Jersey let's say about 3000 bucks a year! No kidding. Also, here is some advise from father to father, let him get a job and buy his own car and insurance! Kids today have no idea what the value of a dollar is, so most don't appreciate anything they don't have to work to get. And you do realise if he has a licence and lives with you even if he has no car you must put him on your insurance plan. If he wants it let him pay for it, he'll be a better person in the end. Sorry if my opinion offends anyone, but in the real world parents have gotta cut the cord at some point, IMHO.
Regards
Jim

D

disco1

I'm with you on this one (kids learning the value of money), otherwise, it's easy come-easy go!

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, opinion chiming in here, but the only fiscal help with any of my cars that came from my parents was help buying a battery for my old Camaro when I was 17. Before and since they haven't helped with a dime of it. Honestly, I am not sure if this was good or bad at this point, since I think I already understood the value of a dollar.

ruffinit

Reaction score
i think theirs other ways to teach a child the value of a dollar. A car now a days is something which is very necessary the public transportation system sucks. And if the child is involved in school and many extracurricular, I don't think it's right to have the child get a job on top of all of that if you can afford to get him a car. But with this, I think you should have certain expectations, this being in school and chores around the house etc. Now a days everyone in school has cars, and can be a huge burden if you don't have one.

jholewka

Reaction score
With the insurance rates for teens today, a car is a luxury, not a necessity. And certainly a 10 - 15,000 dollar car is not pocket change. While they are in high school transportation is what parents are for. It's not keeping up with the Jones. My first car cost me 500 bucks AND I had to buy it from my father, of course insurance then was only 300 bucks not 3000 a year. Just my extra two cents
Regards
Jim

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Well I guess your son is a lucky guy.
I would suggest to buy the newest and safest RR from 99 and on.

In general I guess a Range Rover is to much for a Teenager. I would sugest a Toyota pick up truck. Teenagers need reliability, not to much luxury.
Remeber... A Range Rover old or new, still is the top of the line luxury SUV. And as so, it will be expensive insurance wise.
Im 25 and the most expensive car I own is a 2005 BMW M3 and insurance is sarcasticly expensive.

Good Luck

S

Snafu621

Man, youre spoiling your son. I had to buy my own first car, and all I could afford was a 1989 Suzuki Sidekick and the damn thing kept breaking down, and I either had to go on bike or pay for repairs. Let him buy the truck himself. I could not stand it when other kids would pull into the school lot and around town in the "mommy and daddy paid" new mustangs, camaros, etc. The best part is, theyd take it for granted so itd be beat to sh** a few months later or wrecked. I saved my own money, worked, sold cars, and now I'm almost ready to buy my first Rover, almost saying because I will only have $6800 AFTER selling my truck. Gas, tolls, insurance, repairs, etc.

C

capthook

chuyrdzc said:
Well I guess your son is a lucky guy.
I would suggest to buy the newest and safest RR from 99 and on.

In general I guess a Range Rover is to much for a Teenager. I would sugest a Toyota pick up truck. Teenagers need reliability, not to much luxury.
Remeber... A Range Rover old or new, still is the top of the line luxury SUV. And as so, it will be expensive insurance wise.
Im 25 and the most expensive car I own is a 2005 BMW M3 and insurance is sarcasticly expensive.

Good Luck

Good suggestion. Teens need reliabilty, not luxury. I bought BMW's growing up, and have spent thousand$$$ in repairs over the years where I could have had a toyota / honda and got there on less gas, without the costly european parts / repairs.

Another question, do you really want to give a 4x4 w/ a v8 to a teen?? It's not exactly a logical first car. I'm a teacher and I think your son is trying to impress his student body on your wallet instead of looking at it from a practical stand point and getting himself a nice 4 runner.

Also, to get to the 'kids wrecking their cars' senario - look around. Some kids just drive too fast, and they tend to party a bit in high school too. There was a lad last year who had a bit too much to drink and crashed his M3 daddy bought him. I'm sure it's what HE wanted when they bought it... but what a waste!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM