bypassing the stock radio amp!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAPb4theSNAP

Reaction score
I just bought a disco 1 the other day. The factory amp is toast!!! is there a way I could just use an aftermarket head unit and just bypass the factory amp? Maybe just take out the old amp and trace the speaker wires and just connect them to the back off the head unit wires? Please help me out!!!
Jeremy

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could check crutchfield dot com or ive them a call and see what they can help you out with... I do know in some Fords with factory amps, Crutchfield provides a free bypass harness with a head unit purchase...

I've bought thousand's of dollars from Crutchfield and they have never left me with a bad or neutral feeling - always a great experience...

Jonathan

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had to do this a month or so ago.

Go to Crutchfield and figure out which deck will fit the factory slot. Go to Ebay and get that deck at a killer price!!! (brand new in box of course)

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/autoinfo/autoinfo.asp?lp=/app/Car/MyCar.aspx

You definately need to bypass the factory amp. If you dont you will get a NASTY grounding buzz. Follow this website and you will be just fine.

http://www.geocities.com/crazyjehu/ampbypass.htm

This is my quick reply if you need more let me know!

P.S. dont get the bypass harness/connector, it wont work. Get the antenna adapter though and connect it to the wire that plugs into the "amp" or "sub" slot from your factory radio, it is your am/fm antenna from the car. Take the time to run new wires down to where you cut off the speakers from the amp. It will take time and fishing around to get it through but it is worth it. :)

n8

Last edited:

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The harness doesnt really bypass it. In order for the speakers to even put out a signal since they are connected directly to the amp the amp needs to be on. You end up having to connect the blue power wire (which powers up the amp) to even get sound, which isnt bypassing the amp at all.
:stupid:

It took me hours to figure out why no sound was working with my "bypass connector".

Last edited:

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something Apline would do... I'm not a fan of factory amps, but sometimes you have to deal with what's installed...

Jonathan

TAPb4theSNAP

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks guys! That is a huge help! Im going to try and tackle it sunday, Ill let everyone know how it goes.
JEREMY

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99