2016 LR4 Dead... need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alchern

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 2016 LR4 that has been well maintained with no known issues. Ran the vehicle today to run a few errands and had no issues or concerns at all. Parked the car outside this afternoon. Just went outside this evening to move the vehicle into the garage... when I opened the door, the hazards flashed slowly two or three times... I can't recall. Then the date showed 01-01-2000 on the screen for a moment before going blank. The Land Rover logo also flashed on and off a few times on entertainment screen. Now... nothing at all. However, the interior lights and cigarette power work fine. The vehicle will not recognize either of my key fobs. No screen activity at all, and pressing the start/stop button does nothing with or without the brake pedal applied. Immediately popped the hood and put the Noco charger on the battery... went up to full green after a few minutes, so I don't think the battery is dead. I attempted to connect my Gap IID tool, however nothing is recognized and it will not connect. Any ideas? I'm starting to panic. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

greiswig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about your trouble! I wish I had a magic bullet for you. I would start with disconnecting and reconnecting the battery after a few minutes. Take the opportunity to clean the battery terminals and cables while it's disconnected. If you can borrow a known good battery, so much the better. If battery is actually good, check all battery connections and primary ground connections, making sure they are clean and have good contact.

Alchern

Reaction score
OP here: Tested battery with voltmeter, and reading was low (12.02, then 12.21). I picked up a new battery and replaced. Things seems to be back to normal. Interesting that I had no forewarning in regards to battery health. Voltage reading with GAP IID seems to be lower than normal, however vehicle is starting and running great. For future reference, if anyone is having troubles like this and your vehicle is acting up (hazards flash when entering vehicle, dash screen resets date, entertainment screen going on and off), as expected, it is likely a battery issue. Start by replacing battery with a new one.
A question for those of you with GAP IID tool: Are there any live values I can be reading to determine health of alternator / new battery?

greiswig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it running again. I would still clean all battery and charging-related contacts, including grounds. It may be that the system wasn't charging right because of it, and you'll have a repeat before long.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it is resolved. Yet another instance of weird things happening relating to the battery. A new battery will always be my first solution unless the battery is newer than 2 years. I don't care what GAP or voltmeters say.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though, not so weird really…. think of it as there are numerous electronic modules needing power. If the minimum requirement is not available, as managed by other modules, some power up, less important ones don’t.
I think like @Quijote . Its always the battery. And possibly a failing generator.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These batteries need regular trickle charging. The smart alternator does not keep the voltage up

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635