can a leak in the EAS compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can a leak in the compressor cause the rear suspension to drop?
My LR dealer called this morning and after a week of "inspecting" the vehicle
which dropped only the rear they say it is a small leak in the compressor.
I don't buy it because according to me that would cause the whole EAS to drop, wouldn't it?

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible valve block? It seems only to be affecting on location.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's what I told the dealership's head mechanic and he said he would check that and the air pipes. 7 business days later they call and say it is the compressor that's got a leak!
I am going to the dealership to have them show me the leak because I just cannot figure out how a leaky compressor can still build pressure to raise the whole vehicle into off road mode! besides if I disconnect the f26 fuse, the front suspension remains up! I don't think that can be caused by a leak n the compressor!!!
I won't be able to go today but tomorrow I'll post the findings.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
copy/paste from my post at disco3 co uk

I went to pick her up today. Spent about two hours in the stealership.
The head mechanic and the one that worked on my LR3 were both there, they explained me that the dryer is leaking, and as the module that controls the valves is connected to the compressor which detects a fault (low pressure apparently) it faults and lets the valve open? It makes more sense explained like that but still I don't quite buy it, is that even possible?
Head mechanic recommended me to either change the dryer which is a temporary solution because according to him the compressor is already old and worn out, or change the compressor for the new AMK.
I will probably do neither and swap for the coils. **** the EAS

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you've had a long struggle nailing this problem down, so I can't blame you on wanting a coil conversion. However, if you decide to try and fix the problem (assuming the dealer is correct), then pick yourself up one of these kits or something similar. They come with all the bits and bobs to refurb your compressor and dryer assembly including a new cap, which is where the dryer always leaks from.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks cmb6s!
I spent the weekend checking her by myself, I couldn't find any leaking air pipes, there is indeed a leak in the dryer and the reserve valve.
I wrapped some thread seal tape to the reserve valve and fixed that leak, then I jammed the dryer leak with epoxy and some baking soda and krazy glue. Tomorrow will test for leaks there (fingers ******* crossed!!)
worst case scenario is that the compressor still leaks so I use it until it burns out, when that happens I'll buy the coils for 800 usd and problem solved...

I mean if I refurbish it I still have to worry about 2 old air struts, the valves and eventually the compressor again. I am a university student planning to keep this vehicle for the next 5 to 8 years (my lr3 clocks 60k miles) so I prefer to swap for coils and just forget about it; my father tells me to cut my loss, sell the LR and he will help me with money for a newer fj cruiser or a merc or the likes, I politely declined and told him that I'll stick to the LR3 till she dies! and I mean it

Oh by the way stealership offered me to change the compressor for:
2,300 dollars!! hahahah they must think I am stupid, you can imagine how much that is in mexican pesos!

Last edited:

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after months abroad I'm gonna be using the LR3 again and it still has this fault, took it to a third mechanic (2 independent and the dealership) and he swears it is the compressor, according to him he pumped up the EAS with another compressor and it did not leak any air?? It makes no sense to me because I've heard the air never goes back to the compressor.
He says the only fault recorded is that it takes too long to pump up the airbags; but that doesn't explain it lowering all the way every night does it?

dealership told me the same and the first indy said it was the compressor and "a valve not closing"
What do you guys suggest, should I change the compressor as they all say or fck them all and go with the valve?

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand it either, but I do seem to remember other posts about people having their suspension drop and eventually tracing it back to a compressor leak. I don't know how this happens unless as you stated, the valves were leaking as well. Still... seems there has been quite a bit of anecdotal evidence to support the claim that a compressor leak can cause suspension to drop overnight.

Normally, the "compressor leak" is actually a leak from the dryer assembly. The cap seems to be a weak point, either due to poor design or perhaps from over-torquing the cap screws. Either way, more than a few have reported hairline cracks developing in the dryer assembly cap. You can try replacing this cap first if you want take it slowly. There are many kits available on ebay and ebay.co.uk that sell replacement dryer caps machined from solid billet aluminum. No risk of cracking there. If you decide to go that route, I would suggest buying a full rebuild kit and replacing the dryer desiccant, filters, cap, etc. all at the same time.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah it is weird, thank you cmb6s, the leak is actually in the dryer I can see that one! I checked the valve today and no bubbles came out of it nor n the connections so I guess they are telling the truth. I will buy the AMK compressor bc this one is almost 10yrs old so it will fail eventually. I'm finding the compressor for just under 650 at ebay so I'll order it this week.

Last edited:

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are the valves that you checked? Did you just spray soapy water to check for bubbles?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9