Car died while driving......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravensfan1996

Reaction score
I have 2000 Land Rover Discovery II with 145k miles on it. Today while coming home, As I made a left hand turn the engine just died. All the lights came on on the dash and the "M and S" started to flash. When i tried to restart the car, the the engine wouldnt turn over to restart and the "M and S" lights just flashed as did the lights on the shifter. I had all my head lights, radio, all the eletrical seemed to work so didnt think it was the battery or alternator.

I called the tow truck and after about 40mins it restarted but took awhile to turn over. After i got the tow to the shop, i tried to restart, nothing. Any ideas? I know its not much to go on but just thought id ask.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the battery died, I would also have the alternator checked.

ravensfan1996

Reaction score
They are saying the power steering pump blew and the fluid got on the crank shaft position sensor. So ordered the parts from Atlantic British.....Ill see if this fixes it....I understand how this could stop the truck while driving, but didnt understand how this would prevent the car from starting again. (wouldnt turn over). with parts and labor another $800 job...........

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This shouldn't prevent the engine from turning over, but it will prevent the engine from starting.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are saying the power steering pump blew and the fluid got on the crank shaft position sensor. So ordered the parts from Atlantic British.....Ill see if this fixes it....I understand how this could stop the truck while driving, but didnt understand how this would prevent the car from starting again. (wouldnt turn over). with parts and labor another $800 job...........

Hi;

I am just curious here as to if you were able to hear any strange noise, whirring or bearing chatter/squeel before that steering pump blew up on you?

Wolf

ravensfan1996

Reaction score
I didnt hear any noise "right" before or when it happened. I have heard the "whirring fan like" noise when i start the car in the morning but it stops when i drive, not sure if that was a warning or not or just a Land rover thing.

I still have the 3 amigos, needs a new ABS valve switch unit and they cost like $800...so gonna wait on that a bit...seems like this truck needs a $1000 repair like every 6months or so now. (its a 2000 land rover discovery ii with about 146k miles on it, got it in like 2005 with 98k miles for $9k but traded in my old car for 6k so only paid 3k for it. But have had about $8k in repairs since then! ) i just really like the car for some reason.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax